how do i know when to stop breast feeding

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I nursed my oldest son for 7 months, but I was under alot of stress and my milk dried up and he quit nursing on his own. I nursed my youngest for a year and 2 weeks. It's recommended that you nurse for at least a full year, if you can.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• some babies stop breast feeding by themselves while some do not.you can stop the baby breast at-least 1yr and 2months.
    sylvia5

Answer by sylvia5 at 7:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I breast fed until 22 months. I think it is up to you. If you are ready to wean then wean, but if you are both still happy with it then I say keep going. Good luck
    scrapbug

Answer by scrapbug at 8:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• When baby weans him or herself: They begin to be more interested in other things than nursing. They don't come to you asking to nurse. You can continue (they call it a nursing strike and you can keep trying and successfully get them back to nursing) but I let mine wean.

my son was 8 months and my daughter 11 months.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• It's really a personal decision. Some mothers will stop when the baby starts teething. Others will wait until a year. Some others will still nurse at 2 or 3 years. It's considered healthy to let the child self-wean but some mothers don't like the thought of nursing a toddler (most children will self-wean at 2-3 years and by then they're only nursing maybe once a day).
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 9:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• When you dont like to anymore. :-)
    turtle68

Answer by turtle68 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Good question. I'm still nursing my 26mo dd. I think we are waiting til she self weans, but I'm not seeing any end insight yet....maybe she'll be ready b4 she leaves for college...lol

Good luck with your/or childs choice.
    Jesstsilly

Answer by Jesstsilly at 3:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Its up to you and your baby. I have been going for 10 months now and plan to wean after one year. My daughter only nurses 2 times a day, and I have to pump for her the rest of the time, but it is totally worth it. Go with whats best for you and your baby. Only you know.
    amp83

Answer by amp83 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 12, 2008