Looking for healthy lunch options for a peanut-free school and a picky preschooler

marty7316

Asked by marty7316 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• peanut free huh?? Boy oh boy... Is it any nuts or just peanuts? You could do almond or cashew butter if that is allowed. With a little honey in it. Yum. My son was pretty picky but he loves hummus!! Maybe try pita bread and hummus, and veggies to dip in hummus. Great for protein. Do wraps with turkey and cheese or make them like little mini quesadillas on a tortilla and cut them up like a pizza. Fruit and yogurt and granola layered in a little cup is great and healthy too. Cheese sticks, yogurt tubes... Popcorn sprinkled with parmesan cheese... just a few ideas, hope that helps.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• do your kids like deli meat? you could make a turkey sandwich or a bologna sandwich...if he doesn't like deli meat.... umm...make jelly sandwiches. my step son loves jelly sandwiches. protein wise though....i am not sure what else.

but you could try raisens, celery, carrots with ranch, applesauce, crackers, pretzels, ummm....those are my ideas. sorry i am not more help.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Cream cheese.....with jelly or not. My daughter loves celery and cream cheese for her snack. I just made her salami and cheese on a burger bun for today. She just eats turkey and salami. I also use a thermos and send pasta once a week. I put the thermos container in a plastic bag just in case. She loves it. We aren't peanut free, but a boy she has had in her class since K is allergic to the point that he's almost died 2x because of his allergy so I am eager to help his family out. PB is great, but with our little friend it is easy to do anything else but send it. It is a matter of life and death for him. Good luck.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• they sell sunbutter to that's made out of sunflower seeds. My kids swear it takes close to peanut bitter. Hummus, my kids like ham and cheese rolled together. I have sent bagels with cream cheese on them in.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2009