What are some ways to help post partum depression without meds?

I know I've got some mad depression going on here, and the anti depressants never seem to work. I'm over sensitive, quick to get angry and feel like everyone is talking about me behind my back and don't like me. I get really sad and like to isolate too. I know it's post partum, but it's so hard to deal with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You may need to find a support group and a support network. Post partum is nothing to take lightly. You need to talk to someone to get some help. I would also try to get out of the house as much as possible. A lot of people have SAD this time of year and if you couple that with PPD then it can be a mess. Try to get some help, but that doesn't have to include the meds.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• counseling.. but medication is the only thing that can really help you. If the anti depressents dont work there are plenty out there to try. I tried Zoloft and it never worked. Effoxer worked GREAT. you just have to test them out until you find the one that works for you.
    Anonymous

• I have the same thing.
    Try cutting out caffine and keep your blinds open and once a day open the windows to get fresh air. Try to nap and get enough sleep. Depression attacks a tired body. And eat more spinach and iron fortified foods, iron will help even you out.
    I"m not on any meds for my post-partum and so far all those things have helped drastically.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Talk to someone about it so they understand what you are going through. And make sure you have help around the house and with your kids. Because added stress and pressure could put you over the top. Take care of yourself. A good cry is good too.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I had it with 3 of my kids, and it took several different meds before I found something that worked. When we did find what worked it was amazing the difference I felt, it just took a while to find which one worked for me. Good luck, I know it sucks, you really dont deserve to feel like this, dont give up.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Keep reaching out no matter how much you feel like being isolated...most of us out here have gone what you are going through in some way or another. I am here for you if you need a shoulder pm me if you would like...buck up little camper...this too shall pass.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You need a really good support system. From family,  real friends and possibly a counselor. I had PPD, I had a great support system and still went on Lexapro. So I don't know how I would have felt with out the meds. But just knowing that my husband was there anytime I needed him, was great. At one point I was contemplating suicide, that's when I knew i needed help. I got it, and i'm here today. Try as much as you can to relieve yourself of added stress. Let people help you, try not to feel guilty about it (I know its hard tho). Hopefully things will look up for you soon mama. if you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me, I've been there....it's not easy.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• sex
    Anonymous