My 14 month old has a hard time going.

Since he was born Avery has had a gas problem and since he's been on solids he has been having a hard time pooing. It's weird because one day it will be like baby poo and the next day it will be very hard and he has a hard time pushing it out. Because it is so inconsistent, I feel that he's not getting enough of something in his diet. My mom said the BRAT diet would work but upon further investigation (and a lot of grunting from Avery) I found out that it's actully for diarrhea so it probably made things worse. What could I try getting him more of in his diet to help mke things easier on him.

Sammieanne

Asked by Sammieanne at 9:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• prunes are a big help. i think plums had a similar affect on my daughter. we gave karo syrup when she was younger per the doctor. not a lot, just a little in one bottle a day - i dont think they reccommend that for toddlers.

however, my neice had to go to the doctor because she had problems when she was a baby. i think they put her on miralax or something along those lines. she doesnt have any problems now.

if it continues or has been going on for awhile, you might consult your doctor and see what they say. they might have some ideas.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You could try some milk of magnesia. You might want to call his doctor before though to make sure they approve. My dd had reflux as a result of her constipation, her gastro doctor gave her this and it worked like a charm.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Raisins work wonders and also dried prunes and prune juice. He most likely is lacking fiber. Feed him plenty of grapes, apples, melons, etc.... And as long as you keep him on a diet that consists mainly of veggies, fruits and grains he ought to balance out quickly and be a happy little camper:-)
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 9:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• warm prune juice helps. avoid products with white flour
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 10:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Give him oatmeal for breakfast. It will help keep him from getting constipated without causing diarrhea.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Make sure he drinks water, offer it to him several times a day. Also offer him applesauce pureed apples for his fruit often. Use the baby food prunes 1/2 jar morning and 1/2 jar afternoon (don't overdo). but water water water is really key too! make sure he's getting his fruits and liquids. Oatmeal for breakfast is really good. Use vasoline on his bottom several changes. balanced meals. Hope this helps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• The doctor told me to give him benefiber. 1 teaspoon a day in his food or juice. I'll see if it works.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2009