Do you think a parent should put their baby in "show business"?

Obviously are children are the cutest and best. But I really struggle with the thought of a parent trying to get their baby or young child into show business whether it's commercials, tv/movies, or modeling. The child doesn't have a choice. I know there's a market for it and we all love babies and little kids. How do you even get your baby into the "business"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• NO WAY I would do that to my child!
    Anonymous

• no then they dont get to be a kid ever.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 10:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My daughter enjoys changing into different outfits, getting her hair done and posing for pics. Seriously! She is a big huge easter ham! I may have her do Sears catalog because I know she'll have fun, but pressing the issue and making it her entire life's purpose, I'm not so sure. If you have a beautiful baby, whats wrong with showing her off and getting a little money for college anyway? As long as it's not the parent trying to live vicariously through their child and obsessing I don't see the problem.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My baby boy has won 2 contests and is WAY cute enough to be in commercials, but I wouldn't make it his whole life.
    environmentalpa

Answer by environmentalpa at 10:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I wanted to do it with both my kids. With my son I tried but he was just way to shy. At 11 he is still the same way. Now with my daughter I wanted to do it but DH would not allow me to do it. He had a fit once he heard I was trying but I had to respect his wishes. Now we just model around the house...It's fun. We take lots of photos.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I don't think I would do it but if I was approached by someone reputable then I might but porbably not.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• If we were to do it, it would be like any other extra-curricular activity. It would take place after school and could not be too time-consuming (no longer than I would expect a basketball or soccer practice to last). They couldn't continue to do it if their grades were not good. They would also need to be spending plenty of time having fun, being kids and having friends. For babies, I would do it if a REPUTABLE company would work around my child's schedule. I would be by his side the entire time and they'd have to respect his feeding and nap times and when I'm ready to go home, show's over. I doubt any company would want to work like that so I doubt my kid would ever be in show-biz. My kid isn't going to be a slave for other people's entertainment.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I don't think there's a problem if you send a picture in to a company for a contest -that's kind of fun. But I wouldn't do it just to get my kid's picture everywhere.
    paula405

Answer by paula405 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 17, 2009