Does it piss you off when you hear people talking in Spanish?

I don't care what they speak in their home, but when they are out in public it pisses me off even though I understand and speak it too. I just keep thinking, if I want to hear spanish I will go to Mexico. Until then, you are in America so speak English.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Okay, America does not have a national language. there is nothing wrong with speaking other languages in any country. do you think the french like it when we go there and speak english. or mexico likes it when we go there and speak english. at least in those places they have an established national language and a right to get upset about it.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Sometimes it does... i mean people are free to speak whatever, but i can't stand when you go into an AMERICAN place to eat or something, and you can't understand a thing you say and vice verca and when you call tech. support for something...omg i hate that!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• No hay un idioma oficial en este país. Podemos hablar cualquier idioma que queremos.
    Anonymous

• oh, i am sorry you have a right to get upset about it, but no again, no where does it say that you must speak english in america.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Estoy de acuerdo con anon 10:23.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• America is a melting pot.....get used to it. This is America.
    Anonymous

• Personally, I think it's wonderful that we live in a country with so many cultures and traditions, so it doesn't piss me off at all to hear someone speaking spanish or any other language for that matter. That being said though, it does piss me off when people come here and make no effort whatsoever to learn even basic English. I think if you are going to immigrate here, and I welcome anyone with open arms, you should at least learn enough English to communicate on a basic level.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 10:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• OK coconut, I understand how you feel but it is part of your heritage some people speak only spanish and that is the only way they can communicate. I think it is rude if you are in a room and start to speak another language when knowing the people there speak english. But just in public I don't see anything wrong with it that is what makes us different.

You sound like a trader. Just close your ears or walk away.
    Anonymous

• It just seems as if they don't want to assimilate.
    Anonymous

• Agreed.

I'm answering anon, so I don't have crazies coming to my page, LOL.
    Anonymous