Newborns Belly Button..

How did your doc tell you to clean it... i know alcohol and a q-tip or whatever. but how did they tell you to clean it? im trying to c how many different things docs told the new mommies to do. my DD's doc and my nephews doc say way 2 different things? please reply

Asked by youngandafraid at 10:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They always gave me alcohol pads at the hospital

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Well 8 years ago, when I had my son, you were supposed to use alcohol and a Q-tip. 2 years ago, when I had my daughter, it was just cleaning it with water. It was the SAME doc with both of my kids. I think the AAP's thinking changed.

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• soap and water in the bath no alcohol here but do keep it clean.

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• alcohol pads is wut my doc told me

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Alcohol until the cord falls of and heals, then just soap and water in the bath. That's what I was told anyway.

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• did any of ur docs tell u to stick the q-tip in there a little? like barely pull down around it?

Answer by youngandafraid at 11:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• If it's gunky or cruddy yeah, but oh so gently.

The hospital also gave me alcohol pads, which I used each morning and once before bed.

Just keep it dry and clean, make sure you fold the diapers down so it doesn't rub against it.

Answer by Anjeey at 12:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2009