breast feeding issues! Help

Hi, I'm a first time mom ,had my baby on the 13 of march. He had to stay in the hospital a couple of days longer then I. I wanted to stay because I started to breast feed him. We were doing fine when i started the first day of breast feeding. But because they wouldn't let you stay in the hospital to continue the feedings , I feel like my breast are drying up. They told me to pump every two hours, nothings coming out. How long will it take for my milk to leave, becasue I want to continue with my breast feeding. Youwould think that if your breastf feeding that you would be able to stay with your baby. Now they have hime on infamill and it's pissing me off. Please give me some advice, what should i do to keeep my milk flowing? It's the beginning stage so there's not much there.

MomAsia

Asked by MomAsia at 10:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• WOW...you need to go to the hospital and tell them YOU are the mom and YOU make the decisions about what your child eats. The hospitals in my city will set up a hospitality room for the parents. Especially breastfeeding ones. You need to contact hospital admin.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I agree thats a bunch of shit!!! You need to tell them that you have every right to come and feed your son all they are doing is confusing him which will make it harder for you when he comes home and causing your milk supply to dry up some women cannot pump im one of them so if my baby wouldnt eat id dry up!!! I agree contact the hospital admin and get it straightend out asap!!! good luck momma
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I tried to stay but they were giving me a hard time.They actually wanted me to drive up there ever two hours to breast feed. Thats gas and i tried everything in the book. I even faked being sick to stay. I really think it should be a law agaist that. When I went up ther today he would even take my breast and i started to cry. How long does it take to dry up? I believe he will be coming home tomorrow.
    MomAsia

Answer by MomAsia at 10:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I am pretty sure you can't pump so soon because all you have now is colostrum.  It takes a few weeks for the full supply to come in so that you have something substantial to pump - but every woman is different.  Make sure you drinks LOTS of water and milk - you are going to need it to keep your milk supply going.  Good luck.

beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You just had your baby 3 days ago, your milk probably hasn't come in yet!
    You should be there to nurse your baby, I don't understand how they are refusing you!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• it makes no sense at all to me. driving up there every to hours to feed is too much for me, you would think that they would be more considerate and let me stay for god sakes i just had a baby my body is sore. The hospital system stanks, I bet if i had great insurance and lots of money i would be in a suite. LOL!!! it's really bothering me. And my other half is no help, he says that i'm over reacting. I'm just conserned about the baby not taking my breast and me drying up. And the pump is giving me scabs.
    MomAsia

Answer by MomAsia at 11:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• and with the way the economy is going breast feeding is the best because its less expensive. I can't take it.
    MomAsia

Answer by MomAsia at 11:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Your milk probably isn't in yet and what your baby needs is what you are producing right now...the colustrum...you really need to go make a stink with them. They HAVE to respect your wishes. Its your baby!! Keep us posted and congratulations!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• stop pumping b/c you have nothing to pump...you need to go feed your baby.
    calliesmommie

• milk takes a week to fully get started you need to pump only for about ten mins cause for now that is your baby to get your breast for your baby after about two weeks your breast should be ready and if your milk is still coming in slow go to your OBGYN and as for reglan it will get things back going. I stopped breastfeeding and then found out my daughter was allergic to everything but my milk they put me on that and i felt like a dairy cow, 12 ounces out of each breast all i had in my freezer was meat and milk lol but pls try that it works
    scrawberry69

Answer by scrawberry69 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 17, 2009