Baking Stone

I have a baking stone and I love to cook with it, it cooks everything evenly. I think the only downfall for me is the way that it is clean, just run some water over it and scrape anything off that might have stuck. When I am done using it and go to clean it I think about it and it kind of grosses me out. Anybody else think that it is kind of gross or am I just paranoid? I was kind of thinking of getting one for casseroles but not quite sure if I could handle it.

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 10:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• To add to what the people above me answered ~ I always use HOT water to run over my stone. Between the hot water and the hot oven, I have never heard of anyone getting sick using a baking stone. And I assume that if you do occassionally use the dish soap, you are not sticking the stone in the soap and letting it soak. That's where you would get the soapy taste when baking on the stone.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 8:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You leave it in the oven all the time.. so when the oven is on, the germs are being killed... Also, I do use some dawn every once in a while.. It doesn't hurt at all.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, it's like an iron skillet, same thing. The heat kills it all. Casseroles though, I'm not up for it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I keep mine in the oven all the time and that kills any germs taht are on it. DO NOT use soap on the stoneware, it ruins them and the soap soaks into the stone and all you will do is taste soap. Also, do not soak the stoneware either. You have to make sure the stones dry completely.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• relax. it is fine!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 3:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2009