does vinager really keep colors brighter?

so hubby an i are talking bout things our grandmas used to do....lol well he told me that his gram used to use vinager to keep the clothing bright! is this true? has anyone else ever heard of this before?.......i myself don't beleive it...my gram an pap alway's used bakeing soda...straight from the box..an that is what i do myself!

mamactink

Asked by mamactink at 11:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Just, whatever you do...Don't ever use the baking soda and vinegar together...unless you are up for a little excitement.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Supposedly yes, white vinegar in the rinse cycle removes the soap residue which attracts dirt and breaks down the clothes etc. It's also a way to soften your laundry when you don't have the access or the willingness to use dryer sheets.By taking the soap residue off you lessen the stiffness of the clothes, although simply using the dryer rather than the clothes line is often enough. I've never tried it, but I've heard numerous people tell me this.

And LOL at the previous post hahaha.. a little excitement.. more like your own home made washing machine volcano-of-fun.LMAO

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 1:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I have no clue but I would not want to try it I would be afraid I'd end up smelling like vinegar lol
    tombheaven

Answer by tombheaven at 3:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Don't know about the brighter colors but I can tell you this...if you forget about a load of laundry in the washer and it gets that wet, musty smell...just pour a cup of white vinegar into the washer along with your regular amount of detergent and it will be gone. Hopefully. If it hasn't set there all weekend because the teenager didn't tell you he started a load of laundry with the clothes he found in his room while you were out at the store...and you didn't open the washer again til Monday...

(washed, washed again with vinegar - still stinks, DRIED it, and promptly put it back in the washer to try again - still using vinegar...better! Didn't stink!)
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2009