Do you wash/clean used books that you buy for your kids?

If you buy used books from a garage-sale or from craigslist or other means... do you wash or wipe them all up, every page, for your little ones? Mainly the board books, etc.? Up until now, I have wiped ALL the used books down front to back... but recently I bought a large bin FULL of books from a stranger, about 125 books... Now I'm looking at it, thinking.... do I/ should I wipe all these books down and dry them before my kiddos handle them? I probably will... but I was wondering what others do? What do you all do???

Mommy--

Asked by Mommy-- at 11:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let them sit a week in the cold garage. No virus should last more than a week on a smooth surface.
    Anonymous

• For a child who is likely to chew on the books or touch the books and then touch his mouth a lot, I would wipe them down. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't. I look at it this way , my daughter goes to preschool, doctor's offices, lots of places where she looks at books that have not been wiped down.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Your kids are more likely to get sick if you are too clean. I would only clean off obvious dirt. To keep them from every germ you'd have to clean everything... Toys at the doctor's office, shopping cart handles, door knobs...it could get pretty exhausting.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:10 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I always buy used books and I have never cleaned them. Never thought about it until now.
    CashJulianMommy

Answer by CashJulianMommy at 12:36 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I've bought used books and never cleaned them. Nothing bad has come of them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2009