Colic.. how did you cope with it? How long does it last?

My DD is two weeks old and has colic, basically extreme gassyness, I was just wondering how others coped with this since I'm finding it SO hard. How long does it normally last?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 8 MONTHS, 8 friggin' MONTHS-- we nearly died. Get out of the house w/out baby. Have someone watch and get away. Nothing worked. I used to drive and listen to really loud Led Zeppelin when I left the house alone. You need to be sure and get sleep. The colic is so awful, I am sorry. Have you tried Mylecon drops? Laid baby on his tummy across your knees to get the gas out or bicycled his legs to help get it out. I switched to several different formulas. Dr. Browns bottles are good for less gas, hang in there.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My DS is 7 months old and I still have issues with gas. Hes so active he doesnt want to sit still long enough for me to burp him. The only things I found to help was gas drops like mylicon and A LOT of rocking. I would hold my son as tight as I could against me and rock and sometimes slowly would work and sometimes I had to rock just as fast as I could. Then at night I would get him to sleep by doing that and then transfer him to his swing and he would sleep in it. Thats how I got through it. A lot of sleeping when they sleep. Is about all you can do. Some babies are just that way. Even adults still get it we are just able to deal with it better. You can also aply pressure to their tummy and it may relive the pain or help. I hope this helps
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Mylicon - Simethicone drops. A life saver.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Bless your heart. In addition to the posts above (all good advice!!) We had to put my kiddo on Nutramigen due to intolerances, but it made a difference. Our ped recommended the video 'The Happiest Baby on the Block" - LIFESAVER. Message me for a run down of it if you can't get your hands on it. And yes, Mylicon at every feeding - you have to be consistent, I have been told, and agree.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 2:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009