When did your baby start sleeping through the night? Mine has been trying to since 3 weeks. Ive been waking her for bottles/feedings.

becca2715

Asked by becca2715 at 7:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why are you waking her? If there's no medical reason she HAS to eat at night, then let her sleep. She'll wake up if she needs to eat - if she doesn't, let it go. She'll adapt and adjust her eating schedule during the day. Technically speaking "sleeping through the night" is consider any 5 hour block of uninterrupted sleep. Most mom's don't count 5 hrs as a full-night though. LOL! I think my oldest was about 4 weeks old when he first slept a 6 hour stretch. My youngest was about the same age. It's been a while, but I think the general rule of thumb is a child is likely to sleep through when they reach about 12 pounds.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My daughter started sleeping through the night at 10 days. She had enough wet diapers during the day and was eating often enough that it was not necessary to wake her.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 8:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My daughter is 2 months old and she's been sleeping from 10-11 pm and will wake up at like 5 in the morning...which 6 hours is considered sleeping thru the night for newborns.
    sweetmissy_05

Answer by sweetmissy_05 at 8:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Don't wake him/her! Your baby will wake up if he/she is hungry. It's OK not to wake your baby for a bottle. That is, unless there's a reason why you have to (medically speaking). I can't imagine what that would be though.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Yeah my daughter's pediatrician said the same thing, not to wake her at night, but to wake her during the day if she's sleeping too long.
    Ifiwereabook

Answer by Ifiwereabook at 10:09 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My thought exactly. NEVER wake a sleeping baby..lol..sounds like she wants more sleep...lol... When she needs food she will let you know it !
    luvmybucs2000

Answer by luvmybucs2000 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 20, 2008