Why does my three month old get upset before going to sleep?

Right before my daughter that is three months old goes to sleep she gets really fussy and almost fights going to sleep. Could she be teething or be collic or what could it be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I could simply be that she is fighting sleep thats about the age mine started that. It was like I was killing the poor kid when all I wanted was him to go to sleep. It's been the worst stage yet. It didnt last long that was a good part about it. Teething yes is a possibility but it sounds to me more like that lovely stage of fighting sleep
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Mine has been doing the exact same thing for the past month or so..

She just turned four months.
    Try and just keep to a steady nighttime routine. Any abrupt changes will throw your little off even more...which results in more crankiness.

Also, try a nice warm bottle/bath combo directly before night night time.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 11:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• There could be so many things at this age, it's hard to say it's one thing over the other.. there are a few solutions you can try to see if any of these help...
    1: give her a nice warm bath (suggest the johnson night time baby wash, I loved it)
    2: a bottle and/or pacifer if she uses them (mine was addicted to them, lol)
    3: rock with her with some soothing music or white noise
    4: be sure to make sure she is taking enough naps during the day, sometimes lack of sleep during the day makes the crankier at night
    5: an half hour to an hour before bedtime.. make a quiet time for her.. it makes the transition between day and bedtime a lot easier.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You're waiting too long to put her down. At 3 mo. they start to become much more involved in the world around them and do not want to waste time sleeping. However, if they get overly tired, you're in for it and it sounds like that is what is happening to your daughter. Pay close attention to her signals (she might rub her eyes or show less interest in the world around her or start fussing a little bit)....she'll tell you when she is tired. If you wait too long (and it can be a very fine line at this age), it'll be much harder to get her to sleep. If you can't seem to find her signals and she is still really cranky when you put her down, try taking her to bed before she seems tired. Set a timer. See if that helps. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2009