Why does my 5 month old get upset whenever I leave him to play on his own?

My baby is 5 months old, he doesn't like to play on his own and If I do leave him to play on his own he whines and cries, it's difficult to entertain him. I can't get anything done, what should I do? He gets frustrated it seems ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe he's gotten attached to you . My son was always with me and when I would try and put him down he'd cry and cry until I got him again. he just got used to never being alone.
    ErikaM27

Answer by ErikaM27 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Does he have a jumperoo or an exersaucer? My son did the same thing until we got one of those!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• he wants to play with you
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 12:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• He likes you better than his toys.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Ok, here is how my DH puts it. He is small, cannot walk or crawl and is totally dependant on you for everything. That is why he cries for you. Makes sense but still no easier.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:14 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• He recognizes you as his mother and ADORES your company. Enjoy it while you can.
    They grow sooooo fast!
    SCMom130

Answer by SCMom130 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My DD went through this as well.. there is a few things you can do.. pending on what you are more comfortable with:

1: get him a saucer, or swing so he can move around and see you while you do your chores in the room.. he also has toys this way as well.
    2: get a sling to go on your front or back, and toot him around while you do your chores.
    3: allow him to cry it out, sometimes mommies got to do what mommies got to do.

this stage doesn't last all that long.. My DD is now 14 months and so independant... your going to miss them being that age really soon.. I know I do, lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:46 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• 5 month olds are not supposed to be able to play alone. Whatever you need to do, you bring him with you! Yes, every thing takes 10 times as long, but that is how it works. A sling can be a big help. Strap 'em on and get things done!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 17, 2009