6 month old hates his cereal!!! help!

ok so at 4 months my ds doctor told us to start him on cereal, oatmeal, and stage 1 foods. we did and i noticed he had been being cranky the days i fed it to him so i stoped to see if it was the cereal that was making him cranky and sleepy. After taking the cereal away and sticking only to formula he went back to his normal happy self. Now i just started him back on cereal and vegis and again hes cranky and want to sleep alot. why? has anyone gone through this?

masonsmommy921

Asked by masonsmommy921 at 12:01 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well i got some good news 4 u the cereal isnt even necessary according to my pediatrician he said that its the formula/BM that they need, not the cereal itself my 81/2 month old didnt eat it but 3x and we moved on!!if u realy wanna try to feed it them try mixing it with juice instead of mils, thats baby juice, thats what my DD pediat. recomended but he said dont force it..GOOD LUCK!
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 12:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I had one that refused to eat bay cereal or other aby food.

They don't need anything the first year, just their 'milk' (formula/breastfed). talk to your doctor, he may want you to give vitamin drops if he's not eating anything
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My kids never ate cereal.. they just didnt like it. Give him some fruit.. and I think 6 mos just starting baby food is a lil late. I started my kids @ 4.. my son was hungry and wanted food. To each their own.. I didnt follow everyhing the doctor said.. I knew whats my kids liked. And please dont listen to wic office.. :) they know nothing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Are you mixing it with fruit?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I also used a infant feeder when I started.. your doc will say dont. they think it teaches them to be lazy eaters.. I never had that problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• We mixed the cereal and oatmeal with a fruit and breastmilk. She wouldn't eat it plain, but loved it with applesauce or pears. Good luck!
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• They need more then just formula for first year. omg~ thats how they learn to eat.. a kid will eat table food when it has teeth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My son didnt like oatmeal or rice cereal. But in the jar baby foods he like oatmeal mixed with fruit. But not if i made it that way.. he liked it from a jar!
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 12:10 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i use gerber rice cereal and i mix it with formula. hell eat it. he likes eating it but hes just cranky all day and sleeps alot more.
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Not all kids eat table food just because they have teeth. mine didn't eat anything until he was a year. he was always in the 70--80% and very healthy.

and not all kids have teeth before a year.

kids are fine if they don't eat table food before a year
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2009