He's so skinny!

My almost 8 month old is just about 18lbs which I guess it a good weight but he's soo skinny. You can see the poor kids spine clear through his skin. Pants don't stay on him. He eats a lot, and his doctor said he's fine but it's just really crazy. Should I get a second opinion? Does anyone else have scrawny babies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 2 and a half year old is 22 lbs and he is the same way. Doctor says he's fine I don't worry to much about it..

TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 12:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• mine has always been like that she is 2 now 37inches and 26lbs Dr says she's fine though pants are impossible she wears 2T length 18mo waist idk what to do its crazy..
    lalasmom8

Answer by lalasmom8 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• my daughter is the same age and around that weight. She is probably more than 18lbs. now, but i am not for sure. She is in the 50th percentile. Your son is probably just a little lower. Is he really long? As long as he is eating well, I think you ar fine. My daughter isn't super skinny or anything, but i can see her spine.

Just keep feeding him and doing what you are doing. If you still dont feel comfortable with it, explain that to your doctor. Tell him that it just freaks you out about his spine. Ask him why he seems so skinny...
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• 18 lbs isn't scrawny at 8 months.

can't you see spines all all abies, even the really chuybb ones? There is not as much fat tissue over the spine I don't think
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:20 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• There is no fat tissue on my kid at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it.. this is an age that they go through a growth sprout.. my nephew looked the same way for a while because he grew in length making him look sooo skinny around the rest of his body.. but his weight was right according to the doctor. Eventually he regained some of that baby fat. lol.

My brother and I were both pretty skrawny babies too. Doctor never complained because we ate really well. Just had a good metabolism(sp?) :).. (dont' know where my daughter gets' her chub from, lol)

but I wouldn't worry about it.. this is pretty normal. Only if his appetite slows down do you worry.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:36 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Ok you know your kid is healthy. So don't worry. 25 years ago your kid would of been considered the pinnacle of health. Just the weight/height thing they do now is based on avrages and and the avrages have risen in the last few years.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My kids are built like stick figures :-) As long as your baby is happy and healthy and meeting developmental milestones then he is fine!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Our 11 mo old is 17 lbs. He eats great and burns a lot of calories from walking and running around all the time. As long as he is eating (should still be getting formula or breaskmilk as their main source of nutrients) and is active he should be just fine. My two girls were always in the low percentiles for weight and our son doesn't even chart, so we don't really pay attention to those.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I worried about that until I read this, see the middle part about "banana babies" :)http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t023600.asp Also, his dr. said he was fine. He usually ends up around the 30th percentile for weight and about 90-95th percentile for height. He 91/2 months, and weighs around 20lbs now. If he seems content and dr. thinks he's fine, then he's probably just built that way. My son's pants are always falling down too. :) It's really hard to find clothes to fit.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:43 AM on Mar. 19, 2009