Co-Sleeping..... and the transistion to a crib

I have a 6 month old that sleeps with my husband and me, and has since the first week she was born. Her daddy is a third shifter 4 nights of the week so it was easy to just bring her to bed with me. But I've made plans to get a crib this summer and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to transistion her to it. She really doesn't like sleeping alone and if she wakes up in the middle of the night and she can't find me, she starts crying. I was thinking maybe some sort of white noise machine with breathing and heart beat noises on it might work. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar stories?

AmberBrat

Asked by AmberBrat at 12:14 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The best way would be to set the crib up next to your bed, so she knows you are there when she wakes up. Slowly start pushing it further from the bed as you feel comfortable..
    Rock her to sleep so she knows mommy is still there. If she wakes up, rock her back to sleep.

Eventually she will get use to sleeping on her own, in her crib. After some time of sleeping across the room, and when you and baby are comfortable doing so, you can set her up in her own room.

remember, you don't have to rush this.. do it as you feel comfortable with.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:32 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Push the crib up next to your bed and gradually move it away.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I agree with prettyrayray. It probably won't be easy, but she's just gonna have to get used to it and she will. BTW Brookstone makes these AWESOME sound machines called Tranquil Moments...a little pricey but really cool. They even make one especially for babies that are a little cheaper.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• There's a great article on drjaygordon.com on transitioning baby from the family bed.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:58 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Why are you moving her? Our son is 2 and just latly started sleeping in his own bed. He doesn't stay there all night most of the time but sometimes he does. I like sleeping with him. The co-sleeping is just as much for me as it was for him.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:06 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• try putting her down for all naps in the crib and also for playtime with great toys. I would also let her fall asleep in the bed and then move her to the crib at night. Have a big night light ! Good luck !
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 9:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2009