what would you do

I have worked at this hospital for 8 months. I drive one hour each way to work the night shift (1030p - 630a). I was told that there is a MANDATORY staff meeting for my department on Friday at 130p. I don't work Friday night, but I do work Thursday nigh/friday morning. I think I am going to blow off the meeting. If i leave straight from work fri morning I get home by 745a. Then I have to turn around and leave home again at 1200p. There are also monthly staff meetings that I have never attended because of my ridiculous commute. Would you go or blow it off and suffer the consequences?

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 12:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would probably go. I wouldn't risk it.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Depends on how important your job is to you. Are you prepared to lose it if you ditch?

TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 12:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I have worked a long time in healthcare, usually it is not too terribly punitive, but who knows, you know how the weather changes in hospitals. Have you told your manager about this and asked for night shift mtgs?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• night shift staff has been asking for night meetings for at least 3 years and all they say is "we'll discuss it"
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 12:50 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Are you unionized? If so, talk to your shop steward. If not, document the heck out of everything. I wouldn't miss a mandatory meeting, myself.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I am the above anon poster, it sounds like you work for an inconsiderate org. Do what is best for you and your body. I mean if she is going to fire you or something then go, but there are better people to work for
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't blow it off, I'd ask "When is the meeting for those who work the night shift? You don't seem to expect those who work days to come in at 2 am, why do you expect those who work nights to come in in the middle of their night sleep on their day off. Just because our sleep is during the day doesn't make it any less of a need."
    I've said that before and the entire night shift was excused from the meeting. Some went because they wanted to bitch, but most got a good night sleep and the director of nursing came in at 2am for a night shift staff meeting.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2009