Is 14 Month old to young to introduce peanut butter to?

Asked by handsomesmama at 12:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine is 2 now..LOVES PEANUT BUTTER lol.
    at 14 months..maybe a small amount. not sure

Answer by moki1984 at 12:36 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• way to early. you could look into sunbutter, it's made from sunflower seeds

Answer by Lynette at 12:38 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My friend has been giving her son peanut butter since 8 months. I would let them try a small amount and then watch over them to see. My dd is 22 months and I have givin her peanut butter twice. I know she will do fine with it but its something that scares me so I will hold off with her, but just to see i think would be alright! Your going to have to do it one way or another!

Good luck!

Answer by Andi8kay7 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, you should wait until your child is 3 years old to feed them peanut products.

Answer by Lynette at 12:40 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i think so

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:44 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• This issue is not the amount of peanut butter, it's the age. Children who are introduced to peanut products too young can develop an allergy, no matter how small the amount is. I waited until age 3 for my daughter, it was hard at times, but I'm glad I did. I also waited for strawberries because her father is allergic.

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:50 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Wow! i had no idea that the AAP recomends waiting for that long! and to think i've been giving my DS peanut butter for a year and a half!

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:44 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I started giving my DD peanut butter and things with it in them at about 8 months. My pedi said as long as there is not history of the allergy, not to wait forever to do it. She loves it, and is 14 months right now. :)

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 9:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I'mm sooo glad these "rules" weren't around when my kids were young, they should be dead according to the Academy of Pediatrics. My kids loved peanut butter at that age. At age 2.5 years, there were times that's all daughter would eat, would be a bowl of peanut butter

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:00 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• For people who have a history of peanut allergies in their family, it is better to wait. I had to wait until my kids were older to introduce eggs (I'm allergic) and peanuts (my uncle is allergic). Most kids are usually introduced to something with peanuts or peanut protiens in them long before they get peanut butter. If you want to give your kids peanut butter, go ahead! Just watch for any signs of a reaction. It's as simple as that!

Answer by peppermintmocha at 10:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2009