• In the Spotlight:

NO! NO! NO!

How do you get a 2 year old to stop telling you NO! all the time???

lalasmom8

Asked by lalasmom8 at 12:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• haha good luck!!! LET ME KNOW!! LOL
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• get on her level, tell her to calm down and have her sit on the couch and she cant get off until she stop syelling no at you and says sorry
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I use distraction alot at this age. I change the subject or talk about something else and their resistance lessens alot and they usually do what I ask then. But they also say nose alot which sounds like "no" but I have began to tell the difference now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I don't think you can lol.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:43 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I never used the word no myself. try using "i don't think so" or "we'll see"

give her choices. for example - getting dressed. Pick out 3 shirts and let he or she pick one out. they feel more important and it is fun for them, less chance of resistance or hearing "NO". same with food. like for a snack...pick apples or grapes...etc.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Ha at least he says no. My kid just keeps saying "hell no". Really embarrassing at walmart.

Gotta love what an uncle and teach a kid.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:58 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• "No" has never really bothered me. But yelling at me does. I tell my DS not to talk to me like that. If he continues then i walk away. But i never had much of a problem with the word "no" so maybe that's why he doesnt say it. if he said no i would say "fine, then i'll do it for you". or "okay, if you dont ____ then you can go to bed/timeout until you are ready to do what you are told." ...or whatever fit.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I ignored it when my son went through that age. And tried to counteract it with a simple head shake of yes.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:43 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• We keep ourselves from telling our daughter "NO", that way it doesn't become a habit of hearing or saying it.
    mommy_mpoon

Answer by mommy_mpoon at 4:59 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My friend's son always says "No" to me, and I always tell him, "Yes." Often he'll look at me with a puzzled look, and say, "Yes?"
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:48 AM on Mar. 17, 2009