Vegetarian babies?

what do you think about raising a baby as a vegetarian? Never breastfed, and still undersized. I've heard lots of bad things about soy messing with boy's hormones.

Do you think this is too risky?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• vegetarian and vegan are 2 different things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• as long as you make sure he's getting his protein, then it shouldn't be a problem.. but talk to your Dr to be sure, and to find out what you can give him that you can use as a substitute for the meat..

Protein is a must have though!! So be sure he is still getting all he needs.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• YES. BABIES BRAINS NEED THE FAT IN MEAT AND MILK TO BE SATURATED FOR BRAIN DEVELOPMENT! PLEASE WAIT TILL AFTER AGE 2 ASK WIC FOR THIS INFO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Thats mean. Poor kid will never know the joys of a really great steak or a super juicy burger. And to miss out on fried chicken...so mean.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think every child should be introduced to EVERY kind of food and then let THEM make the decision if they like it or not.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It's possible. you will have to be very diligent about nutrition. I am sure there are books out there on raising you child w/out meat as well as vegan. Since you are not breastfeeding i would encourage you to keep you child on formula till age 2(they make toddler formula) or do goats milk(if u are not vegan). Children need the fat for brain development
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Dear Gawd...I wouldn't do it. I was vegetarian and It messed me up good...I'm 33 and it's still giving me problems from all the soy (metabolism and hormone wise) plus soy is a huge allergen and it is the most processed U.S. food (not in its real form). Why would it be considered for a child?

People need amino acids in meats. If you are concerned about certain things, then you can try just chicken/turkey/eggs/fish route, but I would never just give it up. Vegetarians can be low iron as well (as with what happened with me).
    bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 5:05 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• If you want to do it, that's your choice. You will (as mentioned before) have to be diligent about his nutrition. However, soy does NOT mess with a boy's anything.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My good friend was raised vegetarian and is no worse for the wear :~) There are many types of vegetarianism. Some just don't eat meats, but will drink milk, and eat cheese, yogurt, and fish. Vegans stay away from any animal products. Research it! If you have been practicing vegetarianism, you should have no problem knowing what is in a balanced diet.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• How can you not like meat in the first place? When I think of vergetarians it makes me think people have a screw loose because there scared to eat meat for what ever reason. Litte crazy to me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Mar. 17, 2009