Do you think that if the U.S. would have an official language...

we would be more united?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Probably not. Everyone already thinks that the official language is English. I don't think it would change anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! America is still the melting pot. If anything we need to embrace other languages and cultures- now that's true unity.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• No I don't think it would make a difference honestly. I for one like the diversity of the USA.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:45 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Nope.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:52 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I should expand. I've been to countries with official languages...the problems were still pretty much the same.

Here's some interesting reading for you: http://uk.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUKL3041879820070330

Leave it to the Italians to fight over a common language.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yes. English.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:40 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Again, why does America have to shoulder the burden of the world? If you went to another country and tried to become a citizen--including getting a job/running a business, raising your family, attending school, etc. (not just visiting/vacationing), you would be expected to learn the language!

Why do we have to continue to accommodate people who REFUSE to learn BASIC communication skills in English? People who speak other languages HAVE to figure out how to read street/highway/ public transportation/business signs, why can't they be expected to learn more?

Why do non-English speaking countries INSIST on their students/citizens learning at minimum a modicum of the English language--whether British or Western? Because it is the internationally accepted language among industrialized nations. If you want to be successful in this world, you MUST understand English. However, Spanish is quickly becoming #2!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• no
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 8:54 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It's so funny that people think English should be the official language and that people shouldn't be here if they can't speak English. What him someone said that to your great grandfather from Poland or Ireland when they immigrated to America. How would you feel?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Well my ancestors learned to speak English. So it would not have bothered me or them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Mar. 17, 2009