Do you think this is possible? I'm not looking for debate or rudeness, just other people's personal opinions, if you're at all open minded.

Do you think that it's possible that the people who belong to the older religions (like Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, etc.) are all really worshiping the same God? I know that Jews and Christians are, basically, they just don't agree on the Messiah, correct? What if the Tower of Babel was real, so at one point different languages were born because of it or something, and the people who belong to these religions are really worshiping the same God, but in different ways? My husband and I were talking about religion earlier and we got into a discussion about this and I wondered if we were alone in ever thinking about it. I'm not saying that they are worshiping the same God or anything, we were just talking about how it could be a possibility. What are your thoughts?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:15 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I personally believe that God inspired all of the religions. That He revealed Himself to different people according to their specific histories/mentalities/cultures/etc. so that He is accessible to all.

If you study most of the religions of the world you will see that a lot of them evolved from each other. Like Sikhism (which also believes that all religions worship the same God) rose out of Hinduism and Islam, and Buddhism even has Hindu ties - many Hindu even claim the Buddha because he studied under Hindu and they even sometimes see him as an "avatar" or incarnation of Vishnu. If you look at the grand scheme of things, the history and development of all religions as a whole, look at the influences of one upon another, its easier to put together the pieces.

Many other religions, too, believe that we are all worshiping the same God, such as in Sikhism, Cao Dai, and the Bahia faith.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Honestly, IDK. I think that d/t false teachers we may think it is the same God and it is not, IMHO.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:17 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You mean the G-d of the Old Testiment who's worshipped by Christians (even the ones who're unclear on the concept), Jews and Muslims?

That G-d?

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:21 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Well i see how many people can think this. But, it is impossible to truly worshihp Jesus Christ and other gods/religions because they contradict each other. If you believe in the Bible in totallity, then there are many things in other religions that you do NOT believe in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• No I do not think it is possible. , Jews do not believe that the Messiah has come. Christians do.
    There was a Tower of Babel and the reason God had them scattered is because of them wanting to be like God. So He scattered the languages.
    The bible explains why this happened. Genesis 11 as you can see they were making the city and the tower for themselves not for God. He set in language confusion so they would not be able to finish the tower.
    I will not get into what other religions worship but to say it is not the same as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• no not possible..
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 1:26 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I never said anything about believing in Jesus, for one thing (also not saying I don't). Also, Christians, in a way, worship 3 parts of 1 God, correct? So isn't that similar to having gods that are all part of one great god? How do we really know that we aren't all worshiping the same god(s)/goddess(es)? Just because some religions are from another place and they call their god(s) by a different name, how do we really know that it isn't the same and they just worship and believe differently than people from other parts of the world?
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• can't be for Hinduism... they are a polytheistic religion that has nothing to do with a singular god. The other ones it is all the god of Abraham I think, but I am not really sure about that.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 1:28 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• um. ...yes. i believe that all positive relgions are worshiping (more or less) the same "God". And that all negative religions are also worshiping the same "God". Everyone percieves life differently. Everyone views life differently and has different experiences. To me, it only makes sense that it would be the same for religion. Just bc it is viewed differently does not mean that the overall result isnt the same.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:29 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Amelora.
    you are only half correct. Hinduism also believes that all those gods are ONE god.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2009