How can I sleep train my almost 4 year old daughter?

My sweet daughter has never been a great sleeper. Recently, though, it has really been bad. She has been coming into our bed earlier every night. I will gently bring her back to her own bed, and when I do, look out! For the next 3 hrs it is a struggle. A very noisy teary one at that. I don't want to give in, but I also just need sleep. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for me? Any hope that her father and I will have a full nights sleep again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know where you are coming from. The important thing to remember is to have patience. I would try adding some additional light to her room (my daughter bought a fishtank for the girls' room, kind of soothes them).. make it cozy for her and remind her that you are just across the hall.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• be firm, tell her to go to bed and stay in her own bed. when she walks back into your room tell her to go back to bed by herself, don't hold her she's 4, she wants you to treat her like a baby and give her attention in that way.
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 2:17 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. She's got an edition for older kids...the strategies should help.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2009