How can I convince my sister's boyfriend that circumcision is wrong?

My sweet little nephew was born a few days ago, so time is running out. Please don't tell me that circumcision is right and that I should butt out, because I don't think so and I won't. My sister is against it (I think), but will conceed to her boyfriend, since most women do (if it has to do with a penis, it must be up to daddy...). My sister and nephew went through a terribly difficult and traumatic homebirth, so they've both been through enough pain. Please help!

chelsea_renee

Asked by chelsea_renee at 3:21 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My suggestion is to find as much information as you can to show them negative stuff about it. Also, if you can get them to hold out long enough... he will be "too old" to get it done without it significiantly hurting him (which Daddy REALLY shouldn't be for). After 2 weeks or so, baby is old enough to understand and be alert during what is going on with the circumcision, so if you make it until then, you can initial plan B: "now its REALLY going to hurt him if you do it"..
    That's all the suggestions I have. Good luck!
    amymarie0315

Answer by amymarie0315 at 10:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I'm sorry but it's not your child and you should butt out. If she thinks it's wrong then she needs to take a stand...but it's not you or your SO...so it's not your decision.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• In all honesty not your child not your worry you do need to butt out until its a child of your own, this is for them the parents of the child to figure out - what the hell is so wrong with circumsion anyways?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I am so not into arguing with people but it is not your place to convince him if it is right or wrong. It is his and your sisters decision. It is for each individual to decide just like breast feeding and all the other controversial crap that people argue about on here. Let them make their own decisions. JMO! (Btw I have 4 circ'd boys. I would NEVER try to force my beliefs on anyone!! I made the decision and I stand by it 110%..)
    SuthrnPrincess

Answer by SuthrnPrincess at 3:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I have a son and he is not circumcised and neither is my husband.
    I asked for no negative comments, can't you read? You are not helping anything.
    Do you even have male children that have been circumcised? Do you know anything about it? It's a terrible and unneccessary procedure. I'm just trying to be the voice for one who doesn't have one yet.

http://www.cirp.org/library/procedure/plastibell/

Does that look pleasant to you?
    chelsea_renee

Answer by chelsea_renee at 3:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I do not see how what I said was negative but ok. Sorry if you took it that way I was just stating that you can not change his mind. And if you read what I said I put that I have 4 boys who are circ'd and I was present for 2 of them..My youngest did not even flinch and he was 13 weeks old when it was done..
    SuthrnPrincess

Answer by SuthrnPrincess at 3:37 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It sounds to me like you just wanted someone to tell you that you're right. Sorry hun but life doesn't work that way you're not even 100% that you're sister is against it and it is their child and their decision you can make your side heard but do need to butt out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Uncircumsized babies are more likely to get infections.Not to mention that it can cause infections in a partner they have sex with.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 3:39 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I have a make circum son I was with him when they did it he was numbed up. He never cried and acted completely normal after the procedure and he was 4 months when he had it down, I proudly stand by the fact he was cut

Un cut peepee's are gross reminds me of a anteater - if we have a 3rd child and its a bot he is getting cut as well. You need to worry about your own kids not someone else's don't push what you believe onto other people
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I gotta say, you have no business in this one. If she asks your opinion, say you advise against it, but other than that, step back. However, my son is uncircumcised and he never had an infection, my husband either. I have actually heard evidence to the contrary regarding infections in circumcision, Sara. I am not saying I am right, I am just saying what I have read and been told. A good friend of mine had her son circumcised and he is just fine, always has been. There are going to be a million of these in your nephew's lifetime. Times where you are certain you are right, but the best you can do is offer your opinion and hope your sister makes an educated decision.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:52 AM on Mar. 17, 2009