has anybody out there there went back to breast feeding after your milk dried up and bottle feeding? i had twins in january and only breast feed for the first week. my milk has since dried up and i regret it. i was wondering if its too late for me. my girls will still latch on but get really frustrated when they nothing. please help.

angellorraine83

Asked by angellorraine83 at 3:57 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, it is possible. Check out NEW or SOON TO BE breastfeeders, they have loads of good information in there!
    chelsea_renee

Answer by chelsea_renee at 4:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I guess my question is, why do you feel guilty? If that happened to me, I would just get the best formula with omegas out there for my children and enjoy their babyhood. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Absolutely possible! First, see an LC. Speak with her about a SNS (supplemental nursing system). Google SNS to get an idea of what it is. Keep putting babies to the breast--nursing is supply and demand. The more the LOs demand, the more you will supply.

Start drinking Mother's Milk Tea (3-5 cups daily). Fenugreek pills (around 9 daily). Eat oatmeal! Drink LOTS of water. And join the breastfeeding moms group. Many a mama in there have relactated, and may be able to offer up more info.

BTW My aunt relactated 10 years after she nursed her last baby (for my LO who she originally was going to adopt). She nursed my LO for quite some time! So yes, it is ABSOLUTELY possible! Good luck mama :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:45 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It's totally possible, and since it's been a short time, it should be easier. It's doubtful that your milk COMPLETELY dried up, so if they will latch, just keep letting them. The more stimulation, the better. Try to pump every 2-3 hrs (i know it's hard with babies!) and look into a SNS (supplemental nursing system) to deliver formula at the breast so that babies get something while stimulating.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yes it is possible. Here is a site that could really help you http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/adoptivebf.html, I lived on Kellymom the first few months of breastfeeding, the support is amazing!

PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 10:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yes, it is possible to relactate. Go to http://www.llli.org/NB/NBrelactation.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2009