EMERGENCY!! PLEASE READ

My son will be 3 weeks old Thursday. For about the past week hes been having trouble having a BM so at his dr apt Thursday the dr said give him up to a teaspoon of prune juice in each of his bottles but start off with a little bit and give him more if needed but don't go over the teaspoon. Well he became really constipated over the weekend so my husband called the dr Monday and they said give him an ounce of prune juice and an ounce of water and give him a liquid glycerin suppository until the prune juice kicks in. Well now every time we give him his formula he throws it up so we called the dr about 3 hours ago and he said give him pedialite and go in tomorrow but if he can't keep that down go to the ER. He is fine with breast milk but throws up each time he gets his formula but I'm not making enough milk to keep up, what can I do or feed him? He is constantly screaming. =[

sum1smommy307

Asked by sum1smommy307 at 3:59 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Once you confirm with the dr, maybe a change of formula would help... i had my firstborn throwing up and having constipated stools when he was two weeks old until we changed his formula to something he was able to adjust with better. the digestive systems of newborns are extremely sensitive...
    Sunid

Answer by Sunid at 4:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My son was like that which i had to change his formula to soy milk then he was all better~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• WTF?!?!??!?!?!!?!?!??!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHY DO WOMEN DO THIS?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Babies do not need to poop every day. Not pooping does not equal constipation. You NEVER give a baby under 6 months anything but breast milk!!!!!
    I'll bet the response will be "are you a doctor?" And I'm going to shoot right back at you right now- your doctor just f-ed up your son. Do you WANT me to be a doctor?? Or someone who actually has a clue what she's talking about??

YOU ARE NOT MAKING ENOUGH MILK BECAUSE YOU ARE SABOTAGING YOUR SUPPLY WITH FORMULA!!!!!!!
    Production works on supply and demand. The more you nurse the more you make. The more formula you use, the less milk you make.

Dear god. Stop putting crap into your baby and just nurse him.

Poor baby.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:37 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I do not agree with Liyoness...is she a doctor? First off, she didn't read that your newborn has been constipated for a week not a day. And b.s. on only feeding babies bmilk only...they can have formula, if you feed your baby formula and if the doc told you what to do..then you can follow your doc's instructions (not a random internet user who is gung ho about bfeeding).

can you give baby warm baths and rub the tummy gently? Do little bicycle exercises and so on? Othewise take to the doc in a day or two and discuss.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• A week is NOTHING!!!!!!
    It is PERFECTLY NORMAL!! Did your ped explain that???
    Is he having hard poops?? Have you considered that maybe it would be the FORMULA doing it??
    And on yes, babies can have formula- but if she's already BFing why do formula on top of it?? And last I checked prune juice and pedialyte were neither breastmilk nor formula.
    Hmmm.. The doctor told her what to do and now her baby is puking everywhere.. Yet doesn't puke out breastmilk.. Interesting.. How very interesting.

Yeah, you're right. Give him more prune juice. And force pedialyte on him. Oh yeah, and don't forget to keep up with the formula, too.. Afterall, your doctor said it was okay, so it's okay.
    Remember that when your baby has intestinal issues, food allergies, and other problems.
    In fact, before that- remember it while you're waiting in the ER. It's perfectly normal for 3 week olds to go to the ER for not pooping.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• BTW- He didn't poop all weekend. Last week he "had troubles pooping". That doesn't mean he didn't poop..
    *Shakes head*
    You know... I'm not even going to bother trying to save this poor little baby. If you want to continue to hurt him then go right ahead.
    Keep the bad advice coming!!!!!!!!!
    Come on- where's the corn syrup advice?? I guarantee that one is offered by the end of page 1. Go on OP- give your baby pure sugar. That'll clean him right out if all of your doctor's advice doesn't work!!
    Screaming is meaningless. He's not trying to tell you that all the crap you're putting into his body is hurting him. Oh no. He's OBVIOUSLY screaming because he hasn't had a bowel movement. Because that makes more sense.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• When our ds was constipated, I used a rectal thermometer to loosen it up. Worked like a charm. Just make sure to use some baby oil to make it nice and slippery :-)

I've also used karo in a bottle, 1/4 teaspoon in 4 oz warm water, on all 3 of my kids. 14 years later, they're still kicking (not to mention taller and in better health than I am). Solved the problem w/in 2-3 hours, but hey, to each his own. If you think I abused my children, stop on over and we'll discuss it - I get home from work at 6 pm EST :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 5:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It is NOT normal for a baby to go for a week without pooping. If their poop is hard or it's been about 4 days, it's considered constipation. Can you say that lioness? It's easy...CON-STI-PAY-SHUN (spelled phonetically so you can figure it out)

You don't know what happened to her supply leading her to start the formula in the first place. So back the hell off. You are not the know-it-all you think you are. You know nothing about OTHER women or their babies.

OP...you don't say if the prune juice worked at all or not. From your writing, I'm guessing it didn't? I have heard of children (not babies) becoming so constipated their bellies are distended and they can't eat anything. Once they were finally able to poop, everything went right back to normal.

I had problems with my firstborn and constipation. He had to be put on soy formula and we had to put Karo syrup in each bottle (maybe 1/2 tsp per 8oz).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Formula is going to kill your supply. If your LO is throwing up after formula, but not breastmilk, offer breastmilk only. If you're having supply issues and that is why you're supplementing, eat oatmeal, drink Mother's Milk Tea (3-5 cups daily), take around 9 fenugreek pills daily. Drink lots of water!!

But formula is what's upsetting the LOs tummy, and most likely what is constipating him. Stop giving formula if its not for a medical reason! Formula has much larger curds and are extremely hard for LOs to digest.

And get a new Dr ASAP!!! This one obviously knows nothing about a baby's gut. If the baby has constipation at a young age, YOU need to drink the prune juice, not the LO. But no, a week is nothing to worry about. Small hard poops are something to worry about. Its the consitancy of the poop, not the frequency. Go join the breastfeeding moms group--Im sure you'll get more answers there.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It's nice to know there are so many women on here with medical degrees and who can know exactly what is wrong with a baby over the internet without physically examining the baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on Mar. 17, 2009