Baby falls asleep while nursing

My baby is almost 3 weeks old now, and i'm both nursing and bottle feeding (shes jaundice). But whenever i nurse her she falls asleep. My husband says this is because shes comfortable and feels safe and warm. Problem is she doesnt finish her feeding, and she wakes up an hour later hungry again. I cant wake her up. I try tickling, rubbing, talking to her.. but nothing wakes her up! What have you guys done to keep your baby awake during feedings?

csma87

Asked by csma87 at 4:17 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• break suction...when she falls asleep slip your finger in between her mouth and your breast...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Strip her down to her diaper so she's not as warm. Don't let her freeze but just don't make it as comfortable for her.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• No need to give formula. Breastmilk is all your baby needs. If you are concerned about jaundice, nurse her in front of a window. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE YOUR BREASTMILK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is going to mess with your supply, and then you'll just be another one of the women claiming "I just dried up!!!" Yeah, no wonder- supply and demand, honey. Stop sabotaging your breastfeeding relationship.

And hi. Babies sleep. Babies sleep often. Babies eat. Babies eat often. Yes, every hour is normal. There is nothing wrong with this. She is fine. Do not wake her up. Lay in bed, get comfy, and spend your time napping while she naps.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• my pediatrician has me giving her formula because sunlight isnt enough, but i pump during the feedings that i formula feed.
    csma87

Answer by csma87 at 4:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Did your pediatrician by any chance explain to you what is so different about your child??
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:09 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I dont understand what you mean...
    csma87

Answer by csma87 at 5:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Well, considering breastfeeding and sunlight are all every other child needs to help with jaundice, I'm wondering what is different about your child that your child needs formula?? Is there something special about her??? Something wrong in her body that somehow formula can help her better than the milk you produce specially for her can?? What's the magical ingredient in formula that is "curing" her jaundice???
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Look, I understand your doctor gave you this advice, but doctors give a lot of poor advice. Take a look all over this forum. It's ridiculous the crap women are falling for.. And seriously- women are all just going along with it without even questioning their doctors or seeking opinions elsewhere.. (Did you talk to a LLL leader?? What did she have to say??)
    I'm telling you right now that you do NOT need to supplement with formula because of jaundice. All your baby needs is your milk and a bit of sunlight.. NOTHING else.
    You are only hurting your own supply, and your breastfeeding relationship by substituting. There are NO benefits to giving your daugher formula. NONE.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:25 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/jaundice.htm

If the baby is truly doing well on breast only, there is no reason, none, to stop breastfeeding or supplement with a lactation aid, for that matter. The notion that there is something wrong with the baby being jaundiced comes from the assumption that the formula feeding baby is the standard by which we should determine how the breastfed baby should be. This manner of thinking, almost universal amongst health professionals, truly turns logic upside down. Thus, the formula feeding baby is rarely jaundiced after the first week of life, and when he is, there is usually something wrong. Therefore, the baby with so called breastmilk jaundice is a concern and "something must be done". However, in our experience, most exclusively breastfed babies who are perfectly healthy and gaining weight well are still jaundiced at five to six weeks of life and even later.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Your doctor is wrong! He is giving you outdated information. I would take in the article I just put up there to your doctor and tell him he needs to get some refresher courses under his belt and stop sabbotaging women's nursing relationships. It is also totally normal for your baby to nurse every hour. This is a good thing! This will ensure you had an adequate supply IF you let her nurse whenever she wants and do not supplement with anything else!! It may get aggravating at times but that is what babies need. Buy a good sling, put her in there, then you can go about your business while she nurses to her little hearts content!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2009