hi everyone, my 4 day old son would not want to breastfeed. he keeps sleeping instead. but my milk keeps coming out., so i just have to use pump to store the milk. how long can i store my milk in the bottle? is it still safe if i let my son drink my milk in the bottle after 1 hr.?

how come my breasts feels so heavy now that im breastfeeding? what should i do to stop the pain? i like to continue to breastmilk my son but how can i make him suck my breasts coz he prefer to sleep than drinking milk? is it normal that he sleeps most of the time than drinking milk?

mommylei1202

Asked by mommylei1202 at 6:01 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son slept all the time too...he developed jaundice and I had to wake him up to feed him every two hours around the clock. On demand nursing only works if the baby is demanding it! Some babies will sleep if you don't wake them up and it can be a real problem. You may have to wake him up to feed him every two hours during the day...and I also had to make sure he nursed at least 20 minutes or more....because he would fall asleep while nursing so I had to continue to wake him. I wound up nursing him for a full year and once we got past the difficult start, it was so easy and not stressful at all. The beginning can be hard....talk to a lactation consultant. Maybe see the pediatrician, especially if you notice that the baby looks at all yellow. I should add that I had to wake him during the night too, but you might be able to stretch that out longer than every two hours....talk to an expert about your particular child, though.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Your breasts are just getting use to the baby they will even out and not be so full they will only produce what the baby takes. When he sleeps tickle his foot or move him to a different position he will get the hang of it as he gets older, cause he is still newborn they reather sleep :). I believe you can store your milk in the fridge for a week...can keep it our for two hours...dont quote me though. Ask yourself would you drink milk that sat out for any longer then two hours? Dont over pump...and dont under pump...I over pumped cause I was told to and I always made WAY TOO much milk...it was horrid when weaning time came.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• First, go see a lactation consultant to see what the problem may be. See her ASAP.

Keep putting the baby to the breast! If he's sleepy, strip him down to his diaper and nurse like that. Switch breasts everytime he starts to fall asleep.

You can refrigerate the milk for 6 mos in a normal freezer. 1 week in the fridge. Do not refreeze previously frozen milk.

And get to a lactation consultant or call your local La Leche League!!!!!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:58 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• First, DO NOT give your 4 day old a bottle! He will get nipple confusion!!! Second, stop pumping. Your body will figure out your sons needs if you nurse him on demand. If you pump, you will make too much milk. If your breasts are full, wake your baby up, strip him down, tickle his feet and get him to nurse. Third, see an IBCLC! Or go to a LLL meeting. Check out kellymom.com for a lot of breastfeeding info and join a breastfeeding group on here.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:21 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• If I were you, I would just nurse on demand. I've nursed 2 babies, and on demand nursing has never steered us wrong. You feel heavy because your body is not used to this yet. It will get better!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Take off your shirt, strip baby down to his diaper and get in bed with him. Put him on your chest and let him sleep there, and help him to your breast every time he seems the slightest bit alert. Get him latched on and sucking and when he starts to slow down, squeeze your breast to get the milk flowing until he is swallowing again. When that doesn't work any more switch him to the other breast.

If you can get him to latch on and nurse at least 8-12 times in 24 hours then don't pump!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Everybody is going to give you different advice - do what you think is best for you and your baby. If you want to stock up on milk in case you get sick or want to go out or are going back to work, etc. then go ahead and pump. Once you stop pumping though, your breasts will stop making so much milk...they'll only make what baby is demanding from them (it can take a few days for them to adjust). You will have more success, however, if you do not give a bottle yet - breast only until you and baby have it down. You can keep breast milk at room temperature for up to 6 hours, in the fridge for 4 days and in the freezer for 3-6 mo. depending on how cold your freezer is.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2009