fever????

My son has had a fever since last wednesday anywhere from 101-104 degrees I took him to the dr on wed when his fever went to 104 but at that point he could'nt tell if anything was wrong than on satuday I took him to the hospital because he was fevered @ 104 again and would'nt eat they could not see anything wrong except the fever and very bad cough they said he may be fighting a viral infection so now it's tuesday and his fever this morning was 102.4, so just wondering if anyones babies have ever had fevers that last this long??????? and any advice??????

GaijesMom

Asked by GaijesMom at 7:08 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is your son? thats a high fever for a child i would keep an eye on him if it goes to 104 again take him to the doc or er and make them find out why he keeps getting a fever
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• He's going to be 1 tomorrow..... and I am checking his temp every 1/2 hr to make sure it stays down
    GaijesMom

Answer by GaijesMom at 7:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• im surprised they didnt find out why he keeps getting a high fever i always thought that was really high and they would have to do something about it cause it can be serious but who knows now a days i hope it stays down poor lil guy
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yeah the dr told me if it got to 105 to bring him back but thank god that hasn't happened as of yet ,and thats what I thought too it seems very high and because it has lasted so long....
    GaijesMom

Answer by GaijesMom at 7:28 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• This is strictly from having 5 kids.... Every single one of my kids, at some point during infancy, got a fever with no apparent cause. The fevers would last about a week. With my first couple of children I would rush them to the doctor every time just to hear the same answer. "Kids get fevers, it's their immune system working, and as long as they are not having seizures they are fine." Most of the time it is ok to let the fever go, as their body is doing what it can to fight the infection off. But when it does get higher then 103 then giving tepid baths allows the core to cool down. Advil and Tylenol only reduce the temp a few degrees.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 7:38 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i agree with momshawn70. and keep an eye on him. my son was 1 1/2 and his fever spiked quieck which in turn he had a seizure the scaryest thing ever. all due to going from a fever to a high fever in mins which can happen .hugs mama
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:45 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Thanks for the input Ladies:)
    GaijesMom

Answer by GaijesMom at 8:14 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It does sound like it's viral. My doc usually does a blood test to confirm. Are you giving tylenol or motrin? With the higher temps, motrin works better and longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Just wanted to update everyone, for my own peice of mind I took my son this morning back to the hospital turns out I had to have chest x-rays which then confirmed he has bronchitis and pnemonia and is now on antibiotics the dr told me that on sat when we were there none of this had evn showed up yet and that it was good to bring him back because it could have gotten very, very bad so I guess it just goes to show how quickly things can change.
    Thanks again for all the input :)
    GaijesMom

Answer by GaijesMom at 1:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009