Is it possible to resent something that you love?

I hate feeling like this but I feel like I resent my entire pregnancy. I resent and regret ever having sex with my baby's father. But I love my baby. I dont want him growing up and thinking that his mother didnt love him. Because I do. I love him. But the unexpected pregnancy at a young age, I wish it never happened. Wouldnt that mean I wish my son never happened? By resenting the sex that brought him here does that mean I resent him and dont love him? I dont know how to feel about anything anymore...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• no its normal... well at least it was for me ;]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think your feelings are perfectly reasonable. I have had a few friends who got pregnant unexpectedly at a young age, and although the felt extreme love towards their unborn (now born) children, they definitely had a sense of regret at having unprotected sex and getting pregnant so young. So what you are feeling is completely understandable. Your baby will not grow up feeling unloved so long as you show him love, strongly and constantly.
    Zezette

Answer by Zezette at 7:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Well, its understandable to wish that it had happened in a different way or that the circumstances around it were different. It doesnt mean you don't love your child at all. You take a situation that was bad and know that something good came out of it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:17 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I too regret the decision I made to be with my ex, but if I hadn't made that young stupid decision then my son would not be here and he is the most important thing in my life.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My mom regrets being with my dad but loves that she had me and my sister. I've never thought for a second that she wished she didn't have us because of who our father is.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• totally normal. I had two boys 13 months apart at 39 and 40 and it is soooo hard sometimes that I wish I never had them. I love them to death and would never tell them this, but sometimes I think if I had to do it over again I wouldn't.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:25 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I don't think anything is neccessarily wrong with that... I love my DH and our DD who is about to be born, but sometimes I resent him for not moving to be with me-- because I had to move 1200 miles to be with him. (We met online a long time ago)... and I really miss my family. But I love my life with him and our DD who is about to be here.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• no its normal, i have 2 3yr olds and i still resent havign sex with their father just because he's a dead beat dad! i love my kids tho and wouldn't change anything for the world!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• AN UNEXPECTED PREGNANCY AT ANY AGE IS OVERWHELMING, SPECIALLY A TEEN. IT WILL PASS, AND NO IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU DON'T LOVE YOUR BABY.

Answer by older at 1:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2009