What would you do??

If your 6yr old cousin broke his arm and you had made plans with you SO and your aunt asked you to watch your cousin because he couldn't go to school and she didn't want to take off of work and your SO got REALLY mad about you telling them yes even tho you made plans with him...Is he wrong for being mad or are you wrong for breaking your plans with him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• I think you are wrong for breaking plans with him.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 9:05 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You shouldn't have said yes tell you..Talked with your SO..Your SO has a right to be mad..You were wrong for breaking your plans with him.
    I would have told your aunt to pay me half of her wages for that day,,to watch your cosin.

Answer by louise2 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think family comes first, if he isn't your husband, he can deal with it. I mean if I wasn't working and my aunt asked, I'd do whatever it was...of course my husband isn't an ass and would be glad I was helping out.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think he has a right to be mad, but I don't think anyone was wrong. He needs to understand that you're helping out family. which is important. You need to understand that he's disapointed. Wouldn't you be? Both are valid in this situation.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 9:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I could understand if you had plane tickets to go out of town, or something that was prepaid. Just going to lunch or something, then no, he shouldn't be mad. You two can always go do that another time.
    My question is why can't the 6 yr. old go to school? Is he on pain meds or something?
    If that were my child, I would stay home with him...your Aunt shouldn't let work come before her son. JMO
    liltymesmom

Answer by liltymesmom at 9:57 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Sick kid trumps SO any time, every time.

On one hand, you have a kid with a broken arm who needs some TLC from his cousin.

On the other hand, you have a GROWN UP capable of saying "Ok, let's switch our plans and I'll come over and help keep the kid happy."

D'oh.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:58 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Your husband is your family so the whole family comes first thing does not apply. I think you were wrong to break plans. I don't blame him for being upset. What I would have done is told her that you had plans but would see what you could do. Then talked to my husband about it first. I know how much it hurts me feelings when my husband has to break plans even when it's something he can't control, like work. So I am sure I would be really, really hurt if he cancelled plans with me for someone else. Even in this situation. You said the aunt didn't want to take off work, but could she have taken off? I would be pissed about that if she was able to but just didn't want to.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 9:58 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Why not do something the child could do with you both? I dont think he should have been mad. He's an adult he can get over it. The child is hurt and your family is depending on you.
    bduckett0723

Answer by bduckett0723 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I would say you should have continued with your plans to watch your cousin, and maybe invited SO over to help, this way you are just changing what you are doing rather than breaking them off. IF he still gets mad.. I would get a little worried about what he really wants out of you.. because this is a control issue that would definitely be a red flag to me.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• He should be upset, but the same way you have to help your family. Maybe you should have checked with him first.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2009