Can you buy a birthday cake with food stamps?

Just wondering, because someone was talking about it....that just doesn't seem right.

Tatumsmommy0123

Asked by Tatumsmommy0123 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• you can buy the stuff to make a cake ... I would guess you could
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You can buy anything out of a deli/bakery that isn't hot when you buy it. That is what doesn't make sense to me.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It doesn't seem right to be able to buy a cake, or not to be able to buy a cake?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:40 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I know you can pay for a cake here with your food stamps.. I did it once because I was short on time, and it was hectic. I normally make my kids their cake, but this year was rough on time. GRR!! I feel like such a lazy cheap ass, but I did what I had to do.
    lilmama5268

Answer by lilmama5268 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I would bake my own cake, because it just tastes better, but yes, you can buy a cake with food stamps. Why doesn't that seem right? Just because someone is on food stamps, their kid doesn't deserve a birthday cake? It shouldn't matter what food they buy, because when the stamps are out, they're the only ones that suffer. I don't know why people are so concerned with this.
    mamaoftwins9197

Answer by mamaoftwins9197 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• To me it doesnt seem right for people to use food stamps to buy things like already made cakes
    Tatumsmommy0123

Answer by Tatumsmommy0123 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• U sure can... A good 1 too. From pathMark
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 9:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I don't see what the problem is with a person buying a cake with FS. How often does one buy a birthday cake anyway?

And mamaoftwins, its funny to me how concerned people get with this too. I'm willing to bet that a good amount of women on Cafemom either get fs or know someone who does!
    HOLLY94

Answer by HOLLY94 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I usually could care less what people get with food stamps. The only time I did get annoyed when I was a cashier was when someone came through, got really expensive steaks then would spend $300 on alcohol and cigarettes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• A birthday cake is once a year...you seriously think a kid shouldnt get a nice decorate cake for their birthday because their family struggles with money? Yeah, that makes sense...let's punish a child for the economy, or even their parents money management. Unreal what some of you people will come up with to complain about.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 10:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2009