Bumpers and Cribs

My husband left pillows in my son's crib the other night while he was sleeping. For some reason I woke up in the middle of the night to check if he had taken the pillows out and I freaked! So the next day I told him to make sure that those things are removed when he sleeps. My husband asked me what the difference was between the bumpers and pillows and I really didn't have an answer.

Why are pillows bad to keep in the crib but not the bumpers? My son always sleeps up against the bumpers.

Dayija

Asked by Dayija at 10:11 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I heard about this as well, and am curious too!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Bumpers are bad. Baby's can pull them down and suffocate. Our doctor told us as we left the hospital to make sure we didn't have a bumper up because of this reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Technically now they say that bumpers aren't safe either and that is why they sell breathable mesh ones. I still used one b/c my daughter would get her arms and legs stuck in the crib but she didn't ever sleep with her face up against the bumper.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 10:14 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• So why do they sell them if were not supposed to use them? What age can you start using them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i wove them between the rails of the crib. it doesnt fit all the way around, but it has worked for me and very active sleepers.
    kelinnh

Answer by kelinnh at 10:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yeah, my friend who's a pediatrician said they're no longer recommending bumpers. Plus they just don't need them. Once they're mobile enough to move around and get pushed up against the crib bars, they're also mobile enough to get into a more comfortable position! I think we just project our own comfort needs onto them. My daughter's 21 months and sleeps on what seems to me a very hard crib mattress with nothing but a blanket in there with her. She sleeps better than anyone I know, adult or child!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:48 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• no bumpers!
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2009