My 7 week old is nursing a lot less - is that normal? He is also spitting up a lot more...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are several "false alarms" that can cause concern for mothers in regards to their milk supplies. These include:

-Your baby suddenly decreases her time at the breast. As babies get older, they can become quite efficient, taking in a full feeding in a few minutes time. As long as diaper output and weight gain are good, you can know that your baby is getting plenty to eat during these short nursing sessions.

-Breasts that stop leaking, or suddenly feel softer than before. These changes are due to stabilization of post-partum hormones, and are not an indication that the milk is suddenly "gone".

-Not feeling the let-down sensation. Many mothers stop feeling "let-down" as time goes on. Some mothers never feel it at all. This does not mean that they do not experience let-down.

-A baby whose nursing habits, sleep patterns, or weight gain is different from other babies you know. Every baby is different.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• As long as his weight isn't going down dramatically then yes he's fine. Babies do that., they'll go through phases where they can't get enough, then they don't need very much. If he's spitting up a lot and not keeping anything down I would call the pedi. He could have reflux but I'm guessing you'd know that by now if he did. Does he seem unhappy or in pain or anything?
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• He is at the age he is probably having a growth spurt. Remember breastfeeding is on a supply and demand schedule, he is eating more to tell your body that he is growing and needs more milk. You should see him slow down after a day or 2, stick with it though and dont supplement or your body won't adjust. As for the spitting up, as long as it is just that, spitting up, then don't worry, that comes and goes with eating too fast like he would be doing if he is having a growth spurt kind of thing. As long as he is satisfired after eating even for an hour or so he should be fine, bu tif you are worried you can always call the Dr, dont ignore mom's intuition.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:38 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• He seems a little gassy, but overall he is normal. He is sleeping more (which is sort of nice) but paired with the eating less worries me. He is keeping some down. We have begun using a bottle once a day (with pumped breast milk) because I have to go back to work, and he takes 4-5 oz no problem. When I breastfeed he nurses for about 10 minutes and thats it. I feel like he is not getting enough from my breast. I may be overreacting...
    alruss

Answer by alruss at 10:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• He's probably become more efficient. He can probably get more milk in less time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It seems like mine got more efficient around that age...right after that 6 week growth spurt. She ate and ate for a week...then slept for a week and wasn't nursing as long or as often. She was fine though - they just get a stronger suck and your breasts really start to figure out what they're doing around 2 mo.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2009