I failed my first glucose test...

I am kind of nervous to hear that I failed the test. Anyone else have this happen? What does it mean?
thanks!

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 10:38 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Relax! Try not to worry. A lot of women fail their first test only to pass the 3 hour test. It's very common. Any number of factors could cause you to fail that first test. You could have eaten something right before. or drank something.

So next you'll do the 3 hour test and if you pass that you're in the clear. If you fail that as well they'll monitor you more and you'll have to be more careful with what you eat. It would mean you have gestational diabetes. But it goes away after baby is born:)

munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It means that you may have gestational diabetes or that due to pregnancy, your body is not able to break down and process sugar as well. They will give you an additional more intensive test (same glucose test, different timing and instructions) to verify that you are having this problem. The blood work will tell them the severity of the diabetes. Some moms with Gestational DM may have to give themselves insulin injections and test your blood sugar like some diabetics do. Some wear insulin pumps. For others, they will only have to modify their diet.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It means you'll probably have to take the three-hour test, which is a PITA, but ultimately worth it to rule out any complications.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 10:45 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Alot of girls fail the 1 hour and pas the 3 hour.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:49 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I failed my first one, but passed the next one. Good Luck!
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I just did the 3 hour last week. I failed the first test and then passed the 3 hour no problem. I wouldn't be nervous about it.

The 3 hour test is pretty painless, just time consuming! I couldn't eat anything for 12 hours before the test. They took my blood when I got there, then made me drink the glucose drink. Then they took my blood every hour for 3 hours.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 11:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour on one of my pregnancies. Failing the first one just means you have to take the 3 hour one. Try not to sweat it and just follow the instructions perfectly!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:49 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I just went through this recently myself. I failed the 1 hour glucose test, and they scheduled me for a 3 hour test. I did the 3 hour test and passed that (I did the test on Friday and found out yesterday I passed).

I'm in my first trimester, so I'm sure my weight is why they did the test so early, but let me tell you; morning sickness + glucose test is no walk in the park.

Failing the first one just means your blood sugar was higher than they like, the 3 hour one goes much more in depth.
    Marimaru

Answer by Marimaru at 11:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• The same thing just recently happened to me,i failed the first one by 7 i think and then i had to go do the 3 hour glucose test and i passed that one.the 3 hour one is more through and if u fail that one then that means u do have gestational diabetes but not to worry,it goes away after ur done being pregnant good luck
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i just had that happen and had to have the 3hour test last week first it sucks they give you way more of that drink and then take blood every hour for 3 hours and that stuff gives you the shakes and makes you want too throw up but you can't or they will have too start all over i was told most times with the 3hours all comes back good mine did so good luck it just sucks having too wait around at the doctors all that time and not being able too eat nothing
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 2:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2009