Lying to get food stamps and medicaid? What will happen?

I have a friend that lives with her child and child father. Her and the father have been living together for about 5 years. Both recently, and chronicly on and off, unemployed she got food stamps. She lied saying she lived alone with her child. Ok whatever. But she recently applied for medicaid for herself and child saying the same thing, telling them she got no child support and didn't know where the father was. They were approved. A couple days ago she gets a letter from the state attorney general office saying she needs to file for child support from the dad. I don't really know the details. She thinks she is just going to call them and be able to say she got a hold of him and he agreed to give her x amount a week and that will be that. Anyone know what will happen if A. she gets caught lying or B. she dosen't get caught but the "find" the father. Will he (they) have to pay the $ back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• Con't....
    Just as an FYI I don't approve of this behavior at all and dh has threatened to call the attorney on the letter to spill the beans. The are in constant financial and legal problems and constantly trying to find loopholes to work the system. But they are family (his family, not mine) and I love her, just hate her choices. Don't want to see her in jail or anything, but do want some consequenses, something to turn her life around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• She will get caught eventually. I read it in the paper all the time. She will have to pay it back, plus a fine or go to jail.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:46 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• When you fill out an application for anything you will see in fine print that if any of the info is false you will get prosecuted. If they catch her she will have to pay that money back, they will suspend her benefits, and possibly get jail time. She needs to quit while she's ahead. If she doesn't sue him for child support {because they cant make her} they are going to stop her benefits anyway. Unless with out a shadow of a doubt she tells them she doesn't know whose the father.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:50 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• my husbands mother did that and she went to jail for a few years
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yea your friend will reap what she sews, no sympathy for her
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:57 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• She will eventually get caught. When they do, she will go to jail and have to pay the money back. Her letter about his paying her child support directly won't work either. It will only make things worse!
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It is people like her, that make it hard for the people that do need these things hard to get them..Or not get them at all. What she is doing is wrong. And, she will get what is coming to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I know of a couple of people that lied and both got away with it. Do I approve? Heck no! I was living in an apartment having to pay full price making $7.50 and hour. My cousin and his wife lied about how much money they made and were living there for $30 a month. Oh it really ticked me off but they did get away with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• OP here- I feel exactly the same way. It is very wrong. She was employed and she has been looking for a job, i will give her that. In fact she just started a new one but it's very low pay. Not much over min wage. It angers me when my dh and I have strugged and we never stooped to that low. We are now pretty successful, making good money and I wouldn't even have a problem helping them out buying some groceries or something, IF they weren't doing what they were doing. I will not help them out now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• well one, they will find out she is lying, and she will either have to follow through with the child support paper work, which will deduct money out of her childs fathers check. This will have to go to the courts in order to be filed... and he will have to give an address and he will have to pay back child support. That support will be taken by them to cover the amount she lied about.
    She could loose her benefits as well. Possibly go to jail. It would depend on the state you all live in, and how strict they are.. most of the time in my state you are fined and have to pay restitution for the full amount.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2009