Rotavirus...

We found out that my 4month old has Rotavirus because at 2months old she was supposed to get something to prevent it and the Dr. office ran out of it so now she has it and is miserable. They said it just has to run its course. She has horrible diahrea and a bad rash from it. Does anyone know if you can give a 4mth old liquid Benadryl for itching? If so how much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is something you need to call your pediatrician about. You need to make sure shes staying hydrated. (give her pedialite) But really call your dr office and talk to the on call nurse.
    mama.love.

Answer by mama.love. at 10:44 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Get liquid mylanta and put it on her bottom, it will take the sting out. Outside of that, you will just have to let it run it's course, keep her hydrated. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't give her anything for it without checking with the doctor. Dosage goes by weight not age anyway.

Change her frequently. Give her soaks in the tub with just water and baking soda once a day at least. Don't give her pedialyte. The sugar in it makes diarrhea worse. Keep just feeding her what she normally takes....be that breastmilk or formula. And it does have to run it's course.

My boys have had it a few times and I don't remember any of them "itching" from it. Are you sure that's all she has? Just haven't heard of itching, is all.

The rotavirus vaccine wouldn't have prevented it. Vaccinations don't PREVENT. They can HELP prevent. There is a better chance she wouldn't have gotten it, sure, but you can't blame it solely on the fact that she didn't get the shot.

Each time she gets it, it will be a lighter case. Make sure you sanitize everything, it spreads through her poop.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Don't give her Benadryll! What's itching? If it's her rash, call the doctor and ask for diaper rash cream. Mine has a diaper rash and her dr prescribed Nystatin ointment. It's already starting to clear up.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Benadryl can be given to infants, for allergic reactions and itching related to that, but you need to get the proper dose from the doctor. It's not meant to be given for a diaper rash. I wouldn't do that.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• She doesnt have a diaper rash its a rash on her body. Face, neck, back and shoulders...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Then the doctor should take a look at her. Rotavirus doesn't usually cause a rash.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yeah She was in the hospital yesterday and thats what they said it was.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I've never seen a rash from Rotavirus.... I would have it looked at. She probably could have benadryl if the rash is bothering her but otherwise no. You need to ask the pediatrician on that one. Benadryl can make you sleepy and in very young babies puts them at risk to stop breathing so it for sure needs to be with a doctors approval.

As for her diet... keep her hydrated if he is breastfed continue with small frequent feedings... if she is formula fed use a lactose free or soy formula while she is sick, lactose makes diarrhea worse. You can also give pedialyte. Stay away from any juices.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I would ask your doctor, I'm not really sure but when in doubt ask a proffesional
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2009