House GOP picks more conservative leaders....right or wrong move?

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/244/story/56172.html
Given this last election results is this the way to go to counter? or the guarantee of more moderate republicans turning away?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:44 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Somebody is doing some serious internet reading and researching this morning, I hope you don't get carpal tunnel. It's painful. I got mine from working on the computer for 20 years. Ouch.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• personally I think it is what has needed to happen for a very VERY long time!!! Niiiice av there Akin
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:50 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I'm delaying starting my basement...which I have to start now, we are tearing out paneling and benches and replacing with sofa's and dry wall....fun......Guess its time to stop delaying....
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Uh huh....I'm waiting on the landscaper, 5 minutes late, I'll give him till 10:30 and the contract is null and void as of today. I hate bad service.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• This could go either way. There may be people moving from moderate to conservative as the economy suffers. They also may be people moving more towards something like a third party. I predict that if they can get the economy turned around before the next election cycle, pubs won't do as well as currently predicted, and I bet third party candidates will do very well by pointing the finger in either direction.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• ...it depends. Moving toward more fiscally conservative republicans would be helpful, IMO. ...moving away from the fanatical religious right would be a good move too. The GOP needs to elect a more libertarian-esque candidate.
    Lynds071203

Answer by Lynds071203 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Depends on what one considers "fanatical" too.Some think even the mention of "God" or a higher power is fanatical lynds.The GOP definitely has to go back to fiscal imo.
    Anonymous

• The Dems last change in congressional leadership resulted in Pelosi and Reid. Do you get more liberal than either of them? It's what a party does. You're looking for leadership for your *party* you go with the boys and girls that look most like your party line.

Remember, these people weren't slotted into Congress by some back-room deal by party big-wigs. They have their Congressional seats because they too won elections. Someone out there thinks they're right for their jobs. The party just selected them for the leadership nod. Did you consider that *maybe* their thought process is the nominee (aka McCain) was simply not conservative enough? Remember Obama one the popular vote by a slim margin (single digit percentage points between he and McCain.) the country is NOT as 'in the tank" for Obama mania as some think.
    Anonymous

• That's true, anon.
    Lynds071203

Answer by Lynds071203 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• If they are true conservatives, not Christian fundie cons I think it could help them.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009