Twins??

I know people tell me having twins can be genetic, so what are the chances me and my SO could have twins? My grandma is a twin and his grandpa is a twin. Other than my grandma and her twin bro I have 4 other sets of twins in my family and I think his gramp and his twin are the only twins in my SO's family so do you think we could be next?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• It wouldn't have anything to do with his side of the family. Twins depends on you, cause it is up to your egg to split, or your overy to drop 2 eggs. But with him having twins your daughter would be more likely to have them...but since you have them alot in your family too, then I would say that yeah you do have a good chance. Especially with your grandma being one, cause I hear it skips a generation, so your mom didn't have them but you may.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I know how curious you are. My grandmother had two sets of twins way back in the 1920's, that was like having octuplets now alomost plus she had two other children and they all survived and also my hubby's a twin!! Hubby and I did not have twins but we were a higher chance of having them like you are. If you suddenly gain wait in any one month or couple of months you'd have a more specialized us. In my first pregnancy ultraound I gained 17 pounds in two months but no twins - just a growth spurt. Look at all of the celebrities having twins in the past year and two - I wonder if movie sets are spiking their drinks with fertility drugs it's happening so much. Best of Luck to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It's my understanding that identical twins do not run in families, it's just a random thing, but fraternal twins do. It wouldn't have anything to do with HIS family history, but his history would affect your daughter's chances of having twins. If it's in your history, you have a good chance of having twins.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It being in your family you have a higher chance of having a set than those who dont have them in families (this being fratenal twins) your chances of a set of identicals are going to be just like everyone elses... It really has nothing to do with your SO side of the gene pool on whether you will have a set since he isnt going to make you release more than one egg, however if you have a daughter her chances increase because she has his half of the genetics (which is where the term skips a generation comes from) Twins are fun so if you are lucky enough to have a set enjoy them! Mine are going to be 5 this year!!
    mommyto3rugrats

Answer by mommyto3rugrats at 4:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2009