BMI

I just checked my BMI and it says I'm overweight. I knew that, but I thought I needed to loose 10 lbs and I've been walking and losing some. In reality they want me to have my high school body back to be in the "normal" range. Please someone else check theirs so Im not alone in this today. I eat pretty healthy and I'm a size 9/10. So what size is the BMI based on? If i reach their weight goal will I be a 4 or a 6? http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm (check out the meal planner...it tells calories for everything)

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• a healthy bmi is anywhere from 20 percent to 25. BUT...how are you cecking your bmi. unles syour doing measurements on your body it is not accurate..just hight and weight is not enough. i knew a man who had a lot of muscle and his height and weight said he was 45 percent body fat..when they did measurements. he was actually only 14 percent.

focus on your bmi not your lbs..sometimes your bmi will get lower while your lbs will not move. if your 30 percent or above, you need to lose weight. im at 30 percent right now an dim working to get it back down because of the health risks involved with that. plus you feel better when your leaner
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It really depends more on your overall size. Your pant size isn't a good indicator of what you look like. I know some women who are size 10 but with a small frame so they look very fat. But I know other who are larger frames and size 20 but look this. If your BMI is elevated, then you need to lose some weight. The size you will be depends on your frame, overall body shape, etc. Clothing size and BMI have nothing to do with each other really. Your BMI is more to do with your height and weight proportion. It's about being healthy.

DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:17 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I know DDRy what your saying and I am trying to loose a few lbs. I was thinking I should weigh 123-125ish. Iook normal at that weight I think, but Im only 5'1". According to BMI I could go as low as 100-115. I think that is skinny on me. I remember looking awesome at 118 and I think the numbers on those things are so low. I do have alot of muscle and I know it is not mandatory that I reach their weight, I was just surprised by how low they go. I cant imagine being less than 110 again. I will just focus on losing and see what happens.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I agree with the PP moki1984. You have to factor in several mesurments to get an accurate bmi. My bmi is about 22 but I would still like to lose some wieght even though it is in normal range. Muscle wieghs more than fat. If you go to sparks people .com they have a bmi calcualtor that lets you enter all you correct measurments to make sure you bmi is accurate.
    MAMMA2DYANDTY

Answer by MAMMA2DYANDTY at 2:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2009