• In the Spotlight:

Sleeping on tummy?

Our 6 mo is now turning over onto her tummy during the night/naps. But not every time. The problem is sometimes she wakes up furious and if we turn her onto her tummy she goes to sleep pretty quickly. But our pedi said they can sleep on their tummy once they're able to do it themselves, but to let them do it themselves. If we put her to sleep that way, are we putting her at risk for SIDS? I wasn't worried about it at first but it really worries my husband so now I'm worried too...

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 11:08 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter put her self on her tummy i dont i normally put her on side and at night she goes on her tummy............i dont know about that in sids
    Mamaof2010

Answer by Mamaof2010 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Can she roll both ways? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. At about her age, a lot of children prefer sleeping on their stomachs. I have put my dd to sleep on her tummy since she was about 4 months, but after discussing it with my pedi. And you have to feel comfortable with your decision. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• We've seen her roll both ways, but she's better at rolling back to tummy and I haven't seen her go the other way on purpose too often.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• we starting putting my daughter on her belly at 6 months after talking to the pedi because she slept so much better that way. we just inclined her mattress a little and had no problems with it.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 11:17 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Mine slept on their tummies from the day I had them home. My oldest choked on his spit up while on his back.

The "risk" is "lower" once they can roll by themselves.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:28 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• If she can roll over from her tummy to her back she should be fine.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I always put dd to sleep on her back and she'd roll over so I'd leave her. Keep in mind that exactly what causes SIDS is *UNKNOWN*. There are several risk factors. So to do only one thing that may cause it is not likely to trigger SIDS. It has risk factors such as not having regular check ups, living in a dirty environment (filthy, not just a "i forgot to vaccum this week" sort of thing), being around cigarrette smoke, and others. Does your baby use a pacifier? That has been shown to reduce the risks. So I'm thinking if you sleep on belly but suck a paci the risks offset? :) Try not to worry about it. Do what you can to keep yourchild healthy within reason and the rest will fall into place.
    Anonymous

• I put my son on his tummy sometimes, he is 5 months. He too falls asleep right away when I place him on his stomach and he sleeps much longer at night like that.
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• All three of ours slept on their tummies from day one or as soon as I realized that was the only way they were going to sleep for any length of time. When I told our Ped this, he said that was fine because they were not in the high risk catagory for SIDS, like I didn't smoke while pregnant, didn't allow smoking around them. Keep their sleeping surface firm and soft objects and bedding away. Do not overheat the baby. That is the room should be comfortable for a lighly clothed adult and the baby should be lightly clothed for sleeping.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2009