Anyone ever had a free sale?

So, my husband is joining the Army....and we will get our first duty station sometime in January 2009...and I want to get rid of a lot of junk but I dont want to go through the hassle of pricing stuff so I thought I could have a free sale. It wouldn't be very big LOL...but I just don't want to THROW stuff away...I'd rather give it away...

Briyawna

Asked by Briyawna at 11:21 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Shopping

• No I haven't actually done a free sale. I've done one pathetic attempt at a yard sale and I hated it so I'm not ever planning on another one again. However, I aways donate to good will. I'd prefer to list things on Craigslist or my local Freecycles so that someone who needs it can get it for free but if it's just a bunch of clothes or little things I just haul them off.

I don't know how I keep accumulating things either. I drop things off and good Will about once a month and still have plenty of crap around here. LOL
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i have not had one, but i have seen them. people will stop trust me.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• No, you'll have some freak that will want to stop and take everything and then they will resell it on eBay. DON'T do it. You are better off to set the stuff out at the curb and not do anymore about it. That way you don't have to deal with anyone's crap. Another alternative idea.. Just set everything on a table and say, "Here's a bag, load as much as you can for 2.00", or something like that.. I have seen that done and it it is fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Ya I also thought about having a fill a bag for $1.00 type of sale...
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 12:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I would do something like pick any 5 items for $1 or something like that. For every 5 items, they pay $1. Or whatever price you set it at. Obviously you aren't out to make money on it, but this way you don't get someone that comes along and takes everything. I mean you still may get that person that wants everything, but at least they are paying something for it, not just taking it all because it's there.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Ha ha, I was going to say, if you lived near me, I would probably take it. I am a pack rat. lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Have you tried to freecycle it? You can have someone do a porch pickup. You never see them and rules say that you cannot resell the items.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• sometimes what we do is just put it in the yard near the street and put up a sign that says free.something that isnt really that gross you just want to get rid of it.like a wicker chair.you will be surprised how fast it goes,and you feel good cause hope fully somebody took it that might not be able to afford it otherwise...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I just bag stuff up and take it to the Salvation Army. Or, around here several groups including the SA and a bunch of other veterans groups do curbside pick-up every month or so. They mail us a card of when the van will come by and you just leave your stuff out front. Last time I left 8 HUGE bags of clothes for them.
    My neighbors used to do a huge yard sale every year and after a couple hours would get hot and tired and would just start giving stuff away. They would cut all the prices to like 10 cents or 25 cents. Like a $50 coat would be a quarter and then after another hour they would just tell people to take it if they wanted it. Left over clothes went to the SA and the rest in the alley where the junk collectors would take it (they come by once a day at least).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Yup! We did. We gave away a TON of stuff! It's the only type of "sale" I'd have.

Amy
    moneysaver6

Answer by moneysaver6 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2009