How do I trim my dogs nails?

I tried cutting them once with this special tool that you use for animals but he started bleeding so I immediatly stopped. Is there something safe that I can use to make there claws not so sharp?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Pets

• try that peticure thing its a file for the dogs nails or take him to a groomer. there is a vein in a dogs nail and if you hit it they can bleed to death. or just a regular doggy nail file.
    Anonymous

• yes, if you don't know how then DONT very dangerous....you can take them to a groomer and pay five bucks for them to do it....it doesn't stop bleeding and is VERY painful.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i personally wouldnt ever cut my own dogs nails...cuz if you do go to short they can bleed to death..and yaa..i dont want that...take them to any groomers salon, petmsart, wherever..5-10 bucks..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Ok thanks every one! By the way I my dog did not bleed to death lol. We didnt cut it that high but just the tip and it still bled. We have learned are lesson but thanks any ways for every ones concern. I will try the nail file and see how that works.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Just to let everyone know. If you do cut the nails too short and it bleeds put some flour on the tip it will stop the bleeding.
    jwinkler28

Answer by jwinkler28 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2009