Kicking, Biting, anh Hitting

My 13 month old has started hitting people like will walk up to them and smack them in the face, she walks up to the dog and will start kicking him and will just about bite anyone. How can I get this to stop??

IzabellasMom210

Asked by IzabellasMom210 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 13 mos she is not aware that what she is doing can get her bitten or hit back. At this point you are going to have to "stay on top of her" to keep her safe. Remove her from the situation, tell her, "We don't hit, bite, etc" on move her to something else. She isn't going to "remember" for several more months, She doesn't yet have that capacity. With your consistency, though, she will learn that this is unwanted behavior. Be patient, and try to protect the dog from her. Some dogs will be patient for a while, until that ONE time when they had enough, or they really got hurt by the child and they will react instinctively. You don't want that to happen, and you can see if coming, so avoid it at all costs. Remove the dog or but up a gate where she can't get to the dog, or put the dog out if you can. As far as her hitting others, it is how they learn social skills. NOT that you let her, but you TEACH her we don't hit. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I bite my son back. He picked it up from daycare from the other kids. I don't bite hard or pull his hair hard but I do let him know it is not nice. He is now 3 and he only did it a few times. Of course I baby him after a few minutes. But I hear them things from my mother, friends of the older generation. Show them how it feels and they will once realize.
    Prican91181

Answer by Prican91181 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• At my son's DayCare you can check out books regarding different stages of development children are doing. Back in Nov 2008 my son was bit my another student, so in return in Feb 2009 my son started to "try " & bit others. His Director let me check out Teeth Are Not for Biting (Board Book) (Best Behavior Series) [ILLUSTRATED] (Board book)
    by Elizabeth Verdick (Author), Marieka Heinlen (Illustrator). I read to him each night for about a week, he hasn't attempted to bit anyone since. I also demonstrated to him how biting hurts. NO I NEVER bit my son I would just hold him arm out & show him how much it could hurt & if he didn't want it done to him, then he shouldn't do it to other people. He's only 2 years old & I know this might be just a phase he's going thru, but Hubby nor I will allow such behavior & will put a stop to it by any means necessary.
    ~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2009