Does anyone know how to get a cats smell out of a house

is it even possible. If anyone has any tips for me that would be really great.Thank you for helping me.

andrea86160

Asked by andrea86160 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Pets

• BLEACH!
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 11:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I would try vinegar since its a natural neutralizer. Mix a 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar solution in a spray bottle. Spray it all over, fully saturate the area. It will smell vinegar-y for awhile, but should be able to cut the smell :) If it doesn't fully work the first time add a bit more vinegar to the water and do it again :)
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 12:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• vinegar worked for me
    emexmom

Answer by emexmom at 12:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• OH! And I wanted to add that vinegar won't stain like bleach...no fading or anything...I actually use vinegar for a lot of things. I put it in my washing machine because we have a 7 year old that wets the bed. This way my clothes smell fresh and clean without worrying about bleach stains or faded, holey clothes!
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 12:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I love the product Nature's Miracle- but no matter what product you use, make sure you THOROUGHLY SOAK the area that smells like cat urine
    The detergent has to reach the padding and floorboards underneath the carpet in order to kill the bacteria that creates the smell.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• is your cat spraying...if its not fixed and sprays you will NEVER get rid of the smell...when I changed littlers it helped alot. I use the Crystals that absorb not clump and just clean litter everyday.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• If you're talking about the smell from the catlady's house, good luck. That's going to require pulling carpet and padding, perhaps even replacing floor boards, sheetrock, etc., otherwise will not simply "wash" out.

If you're talking about just the household, "Do you have a cat in the house?" smell, use a solution of half mouthwash and half vinegar and clean your walls, ceiling fans, etc. Vinegar does naturally remove ammonia odor, and mouthwash kills germs and bacteria and is safe on any surface in the house. (Of course, use a clear kind or the brown/amber colored kind, blue or green may leave a tint in the carpet)

If it's just the room the catbox is in, try replacing the box itself. After so long, the ammonia in cat urine will make the litterbox porous, and the smell will not come out. Be sure to use a better litter, the cheaper you go, the more you go through and the worse the quality of protecting and absorbing!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Oh! and the mouthwash will negate a lot of the vinegar-y smell in the solution!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I used vineger and water in my steam cleaner. It helped a little. Its hard to get the cat smell out. My dog is not allowed on my carped. I hate dog smell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• bleach really is only good if there are no more cats in the house. bleach and ammonia may get rid of the smell to you, but the ammonia smell will still be attractive to them. i never heard the mouthwash thing but i will try it if ever i need it again. vinegar does work but i found i had to repeat it over and over. they have special cleaners for animal urine and marking that has special enzymes which remove the odor, but you have to know the exact area of the odor and it has to be completely soaked by the cleaner, like the other lady said through to the padding and subfloor. but like one poster said, if it is a widespread household problem, sometimes the only solution is to pull it all out and replace the flooring.
    devonsmom

Answer by devonsmom at 9:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2009