Would it freak you out...

if you found out a violent murder or suicide had occurred in a home you were buying or had just bought? Would you still buy the house, ask for a lower price, or turn it down all together? This article is concerning buyers rights to know if anything like this had occurred in a home they are looking to purchase. I think it would be too freaky for me to even consider living there. I get bad vibes about some houses as it is lol!

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Story?id=7095995&page=1

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 11:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• *Pulling out my soapbox - caution kinda graphic*

My father died 3 days before we found him, asleep on his couch. He bled out, and was in bad enough shape that viewing him before the cremation was not even given as an option. We hired a disaster cleanup service to get rid of the furniture and clean things enough that we could safely clean out the apartment (w/ gloves and masks), but the landlady refused to pay for them to do deep cleaning - carpets, tile grout, walls, etc. She hired a regular cleaning service to surface clean. Whoever rented that apt after my dad is living surrounded by blood, fecal matter and decomposition soaked into every living surface beyond where household cleaners will reach, and the landlady has no legal requirement (or intention) to disclose that. The same is true of a house, and before buying one where someone died, I would want proof of professional crime-scene type cleanup being done.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I always do research. Pull the records at the TItle Company. No, I would not live there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Just like cars, I think it would be beneficial if people could find out a little more about their houses. Personally, when we were looking, I had what I would term 'creepy' feelings about a couple we saw.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 11:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It would make me wonder what kind of area the house was in. I mean, I realize that violent crimes can happen ANYWHERE, in any type of neighborhood, but it would certainly make me take a step back and reconsider.

People have a right to know about the items (cars, homes, whatnot) that they are purchasing, but I can see why sellers would be hesitant to offer that kind of information.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:39 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't want to live in a house like that. That would just really creep my out. That's one reason we prefer to buy new homes that have yet to be lived in or have one built for us. I don't like taking any chances.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:40 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I think its all abt the buyer, some people wouldnt mind it if it got them a better deal, me on the other hand would be freaked out and wouldnt be able to live there. its all abt how you feel
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 11:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• If it was cheaper I wouldn't give a crap.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Depends for me on the price and how much I liked the house.I'd have it blessed.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:59 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Some might find this interesting if you are into this sort of thing...The land hubby and I own was training and recruiting grounds for the civil war.Actually the land of practically this entire county was.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Sorry about the loss of your dad NP.That is true.Most times you never fully rid of the smell either.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2009