• In the Spotlight:

Allergic to Milk

My daughter is allergic to something in milk that makes her not able to eat any dairy. She is drinking and eating soy everything. Does anyone have any recopies or websites that has soy type meals?

IzabellasMom210

Asked by IzabellasMom210 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Hold is she? I used to sub out soy in alot of recipes when my daughter was allergic to milk, and we used rice milk too. She out grew her allergy so I haven't done it in awhile.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• She is 13 months old and has been this way since she was born she couldn't even drink regular formula she would through up
    IzabellasMom210

Answer by IzabellasMom210 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Have you had any tests done ? It would help her health wise if you get an allergy and intolerance test so you can know what exactly is going on. By the way a true allergy and an intolerance are two different things so it's good to know what is really going on.

I would also recommend to try other forms or supplementing besides soy. I am not a huge soy fan and there is mixed info about it. Since she is young she could get use to drinking rice milk or almond milk. I had to switch my kids at an older age and they love it.

Also there is coconut milk yogurt and ice cream...I have only seen it for sale at Whole Foods.

Another thing is if it's a true allergy then you would need to avoid all dairy in any product, even things like cookies, crackers, sauces.....It takes a lot of work to read all the packages and know all the hidden words for dairy.

Another source of Calcium and Vitamin D is OJ and Motts kids juice plus.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My daughter was allergic at birth also and i kept her off dairy for a yr and she out grew it, I think it is fine to just try soy in your recipes. For her first cake it was made with soy and egg replacer (for another child). It was delicious and moist.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• actually you kids can out grown certain allergies, it has been proven. all of my kids are allergic to any type of milk including breast milk when they are born and then they grow out of it by the time they are a year and half. it runs on my husbands side of the family his father had it as a kid. almost all of my nieces and nephews have had the same problem and the only one that did not have it in my husbands family is my husband he was the only one that could breast feed with out getting sick and lethargic.

mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My daughter was lactose intolerant, which caused her stomach pain, gassiness, etc. We had to eliminate dairy from her diet for a while. She would eat sorbet instead of ice cream, she had Lactaid milk in anything that called for milk. She could eat Cool Whip instead of whipped cream. I found that by using Lactaid in everything I cooked as well as her cereals and everything that made the most difference. You should check with her doctor to see if she is truly allergic or if she is just lactose intolerant.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Is she lactose intolerant or does she have a dairy allergy? There is a difference. Before I can really help, I would need to know. I am lactose intolerant and can still eat dairy in small amounts, I buy lactose free milk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• For dairy-free recipes, try these sites to start with: http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/, http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Healthy-Cooking/Dairy-Free/Main.aspx , http://dairyfreeme.com/ , and http://www.lifescript.com/Body/Food/Cook/Dairy_Free_Cooking_Made_Easy.aspx .

Besides soy, other milk replacement options are rice, almond, hazelnut, hemp and coconut milks; there is also a product called Dari-Free (comes in original & chocolate), which is a powder you mix as needed and is usually found in a health food store or online (made by Vance's).

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2009