Obama snubs the Gridiron Club?

I saw this yesterday so maybe it's old news, but do you think it's smart for Obama to turn down the invitation to the annual dinner at the Gridiron Club? I know he said he was planning on spending time with his daughters and I think that's wonderful. However, if he doesn't go he will be the first president since Cleveland to skip the event during his first year in office. It sounds like some members of the press feel as though it's a snub, a slap in the face.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090316/pl_politico/20036

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/15/politics/politico/main4866974.shtml

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Agree anon my husband accepted nomination for a vol fire dept as fire cheif.He knew that would mean besides working full time an hour an half from home he'd spend alot of time doing his job as fire cheif as well.As did I when I agreed for him to accept the position.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• What would YOU do?

Are you guys more concerned about going to some dinner to appease the people who talk about you behind your back, or make sure that the ones who are MOST important, ie your children get quality time with their parent.

All this Obamawatch is getting nauseating.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 11:54 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• OH, let the new socialist dictator do what he wants. He's going to anyway, right? Let him hang himself with his own actions, so he cannot blame anyone else. hehe
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I'm not trying to start something, it's just that I don't think Obama understands the importance of certain events and it may be damaging. This is the media we're talking about...they made him, they can break him. The articles I read quoted some pretty famous journalists that were upset by this. I guess I don't see why people who support him want him to fail so badly. There are certain things in business and in politics that people are expected to do. I don't get why no one understands the possible implications of such things. Why would he purposely try to piss off the media during his first year in office when they were the ones who got him to where he is today.

Anonymous

• That about sums it up for me akin
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I don't believe he is "snubbing" the media on purpose. He's just not going to let people with microphones tell him when he can spend time with his children, who mean more to him than some reporters.

It is what it is.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• LadyChamp - this isn't like "going to play poker with the boys" or "skipping the PTO." This is like "I'm VP of Sales and this is a networking event that may not do a thing for my career if I go...but could cause me big issues if I don't."

I don't typically knock parents for wanting to spend time with their children - but come on. You don't run for President and expect to have oodles of 'family time' at home in the evenings. You have a job to do - and you do it.
    Anonymous

........fair enough.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Exactly anon 10:35 and tnmomofive. That was my point! My husband accepted a job awhile back that paid more, but was a lotmore responsibility as well. There are commitments that he has to honor and that may mean missing some of the kids' activities. We discussed that before he took the job and decided it was worth it. As president of the United States you cannot expect to work only 9-5 Mon- Fri. It's a huge commitment and that includes kissing up to the media at a fancy schmancy dinner. At least SOME people get it. Why can't the people who support him get that?

Anonymous

• Just means us women/mothers have to buckle down anon and keep the home fires burning stronger :)
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2009